Talk

Advanced search

Where can I get the chickenpox vaccine for my baby?

(11 Posts)
Nickname1980 Fri 28-Nov-14 23:08:26

Anyone vaccinated their LOs against the chickenpox?

My baby is 9.5 months and it's going around his social circles at the moment. If I can avoid him getting it, that'd be great. A poorly child anytime is sad, but especially over Christmas!

Where can I get it?

Nickname1980 Fri 28-Nov-14 23:10:31

Whoops forgot to say - I'm in North London. But any big pharmacy chains do it, like Boots? Or is this a Bupa thing?

FastWindow Fri 28-Nov-14 23:13:38

There's a vaccine?

Actually, chickenpox IS a vaccine. Against smallpox. flaunts knowledge

KittieCat Fri 28-Nov-14 23:14:18

We got a private prescription through our GP. So, we paid £80 for both jabs but we had them done at our normal doctor's surgery.

BabyJabs will do it, I'm sure, of your GP won't do a private scrip.

Best money we spent.

KittieCat Fri 28-Nov-14 23:14:45

Should add we're in London, too.

Cavort Fri 28-Nov-14 23:16:35

You can't get it done privately until baby is 12 months but find local clinics on the City Doc website.

FastWindow Fri 28-Nov-14 23:18:24

Well there you go. Every day is a school day on MN.

NellyTheElephant Sat 29-Nov-14 16:56:09

To my knowledge there is no relation at all between chickenpox and smallpox. Cowpox was the one that worked as a vaccination against smallpox (which was why historically dairymaids were always considered beautiful and fresh faced - they never got smallpox). Sorry - irrelevant to the original question i know!

I didn't get my children vaccinated against chickenpox I WISH I had, it is a horrible illness. DS & DD2 had 'normal' chicken pox and that was bad enough. DD1's got infected and she was very seriously ill. Ended up in hospital on IV antibiotics for over a week - having been through that (which is surprisingly common as I now know) I recommend vaccination to everyone.

FastWindow Sat 29-Nov-14 20:25:02

Cowpox of course. Which is where the word Vaccine comes from. I beg MN s collective pardon grin

Astromouse Sat 29-Nov-14 22:26:42

You can't get them vaccinated till 12-13 months. I used Independant Family Healthcare, but not sure if they have clinics in London.

Nickname1980 Sun 30-Nov-14 12:53:42

Thanks everyone - ooh I didn't realise you couldn't get them vaccinated until they're 12 months. I will cross my fingers he doesn't get it for the next 2.5months and make an appointment as soon as he turns one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now