Talk

Advanced search

Good foods for toddler with dodgy tummy.

(13 Posts)
daisychainmail Thu 27-Nov-14 15:06:08

My toddler has had an upset tummy for quite a while now, and I've booked a doctor's appointment but it's not for a week. Do you have any suggestions of things I could give her to eat which would be mild for an unknown-cause dodgy tim, and any ideas of things to avoid? She loves milk, I' can't cut that out.

MillionPramMiles Thu 27-Nov-14 15:20:27

I was told by GPs/HVs to try the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, apple, toast). All stodgy starches to block up bottoms basically. The pectin in uncooked apple is apparantly 'binding'.

Milk can aggravate upset tummies unfortunately. You could try watering it down secretly?

Pocket1 Thu 27-Nov-14 19:25:32

Would your GP not see you quickly in you ask for an emergency appointment? Waiting a week is far too long... smile

daisychainmail Thu 27-Nov-14 19:59:54

I might do that tomorrow Pocket. I hadn't thought it qualified as an emergency but I think maybe it's best for us to be seen sooner.

Pocket1 Thu 27-Nov-14 20:27:01

Def better to go sooner than later - I've had several same day GP appointments for DD and I've always been told they make time for the little ones. Until your appointment just make sure you keep up the fluids. Hope your little one is better soon smile

daisychainmail Thu 27-Nov-14 20:30:28

Thank you pocket.

Pancakeflipper Thu 27-Nov-14 20:33:27

Take out out dairy from her diet. That can irritate tummies causing a temporary intolerance.

Ready salted crisps are good for upset tummies. Obviously not bags a day!

daisychainmail Thu 27-Nov-14 20:36:56

Are they really pancake flipper? You know I did notice she was a bit better after I let her have some crisps the other week (am usually no-junk-food evangeliser).

I know about the milk but it's impossible. She won't go to bed at night without it and screams for it.

odyssey2001 Thu 27-Nov-14 21:05:38

But you must. It could be the dairy that is prolonging it.

bberry Fri 28-Nov-14 11:47:32

Half and half milk... Water it down

My LO will only have mashed potato & carrots when her tummy is sensitive... And possibly some rice pudding ... Don't know if they are any good but it's all she will eat when abut poorly....

X

cantmakecarrotcake Fri 28-Nov-14 14:56:37

Rich tea biscuits. Really simple and dairy free. Quite palatable too if DC doesn't have much appetite.

ElphabaTheGreen Fri 28-Nov-14 15:03:27

If it is the milk (and that's very often the culprit) get Lactofree for her instead. In a toddler, it will be the lactose causing problems. Lactofree tastes no different from ordinary milk.

LaCerbiatta Fri 28-Nov-14 15:05:09

Get HA milk (formula) from boots, it's for intolerant babies and won't prolong their upset tummy.

I really don't understand why doctors don't usually advise this. Most children and adults become temporarily lactose intolerant after a stomach bug and this is such a simple measure to prevent the diarrhea to carry on for weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now