Talk

Advanced search

hot weather for christmas

(11 Posts)
emy80 Thu 27-Nov-14 07:43:45

I have a 5 month old, my first baby, and ee are taking her to oz for her first Christmas. They spend Christmas day out by the river and I'm concerned about the length of the day and the heat. My partner keeps saying it will be fine but I'm anxious. I just think it will be a lot for her and want to enjoy her first Christmas? Anyone took their baby away in the heat? How did they manage? Feel like i should suggest we stay at in laws house, is this unreasonable to get them to change plans?

IAmAPaleontologist Thu 27-Nov-14 08:01:57

They have babies in Australia too. It will be fine smile .

Make sure you have what you need to keep baby in the shade. so when you go out choose a picnic spot with trees, take a parasol, get a good sunshade for the pushchair, ad in one that can double as a bug net, the full on enclosed ones not the parasol style.

Don't bother getting any suncream here, but it there as will be cheaper and better.

hat, loose clothing etc. and feed on demand for plenty of fluid.

ZebraCrossing007 Thu 27-Nov-14 08:07:35

We took ours when she was 6 months. She did find it hot and didn't like the hot weather. We kept her in the shade / air con as much as possible.

emy80 Thu 27-Nov-14 08:13:40

Thanks for the tips, I know she will fine, just she's never been in hot weather and they spend 6 hours at the picnic which is a long day. I will make sure she gets plenty of fluids! I'm pretty hopeless in hot weather too!

emy80 Thu 27-Nov-14 08:14:38

Zebra, can i ask what the jet lag for your baby was like?

Fresh01 Fri 28-Nov-14 23:10:49

I had DC1 in Oz in Jan nearly 9 years ago. She was 5 weeks old before she wore long sleeves. She mainly wore short sleeved vests that popper at the bottom - you got nice multi coloured ones over there. When sleeping she was wrapped in a Muslim wrap for first 3 months then grobags.

Make sure they have a folding parasol and they take it with you all when you go out for picnics. Take hats for yourself and baby. Also carry a refillable water bottle as you will drink a lot of water too.
Check if where you are staying is air conditioned and if it will be on overnight. Makes the difference between indoors being 30 degs at night in bed and 20 degs. By 5 months we used the lightest grobags when hot with a short sleeved vest.
We flew 3 times long haul when she was a baby. We found the best way through jet lag was to alternate. For two of the trips I was BF but if a feed didn't put her back to sleep and she was wide awake DH got up for an hour and played with her. Then I swapped. A few long baths around tea time to try and move her nearer normal bedtime. Takes about 3 days to get back to normal routine.

Fresh01 Fri 28-Nov-14 23:14:04

Re sun cream. We used an Oz brand called SunSense and they had a pink roll on sun cream for babies that we always used on DC. Worth buying when you get there.

emy80 Sat 29-Nov-14 08:57:26

Thanks for all the great tips, we have got air con where we are so that's good. She is in a fab routine here so hopefully won't be too long until she gets into routine over there. I'll look into the grobags as mine is far too thick.

Scotinoz Sat 29-Nov-14 22:08:05

Babies are totally fine in the heat. My Aussie baby's first three months were in 30-40 degree heat. She's been in Asia and the Middle East too without looking bothered.

Keep then in the shade where possible and feed them lots. One of those little pop up sun tents is greats, and a sunshade for the pram. Cancer Council kids sunscreen in a white tube with a pinky purple lid is great.

If you're staying somewhere with air con then you still need to add layers. A thin sleeping bag is great for hot nights, or a regular 1tog for normal nights.

As for jet lag. I find it easiest to go with the flow for flights, don't stress over sleeping and awake times. Then get back on track once you land. Everyone I know that's done the long haul flight has had a hard week of night wakings then it's sorted itself out.

emy80 Sun 30-Nov-14 07:35:17

Thanks! I'm sure I can manage a week, we are there three so will just have a quiet week when we arrive. Haven't got a sun tent so will look to get one of those for Xmas day, good idea! Feeling less anxious now!

BikeRunSki Sun 30-Nov-14 07:44:48

UV sunsuit 2 piece is good for nappy changes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now