Talk

Advanced search

Help! Sleep issues and dramatic change in dd's behaviour!

(3 Posts)
MoonshineWashingLine Wed 26-Nov-14 22:53:59

We moved house recently and dd (almost 3) went from cot to cot bed with bed guard. Had one or two iffy nights and then she was fine... for about 2 weeks. Now she makes up any possible excuse for me to go back in to the bedroom after she's been put to bed, she needs her nose wiping, she wants water, she needs a poo (but never does one), she's done a wee in her pull up, etc etc. She's just delaying going to sleep as long as she can. She is still making the odd winging noise now as I type! She's been such a good sleeper since she was about 10 months old, why this sudden change?! She also wakes in the night if she can't sort her quilt out... I'm wondering if she could be having bad dreams but she's never mentioned anything to me. I don't know what's going on.

Also her behaviour has become very challenging lately. She is very defiant and her most commonly used phrases are 'I want...' 'I'm still hungry' 'nnnnnno!' 'Why?' and ' I don't want to'. She seems to be constantly pushing boundaries and it is exhausting.

On top of all this I'm a single parent and dd's father is a pain in the arse, which probably doesn't help her behaviour... christ she's just started winging again and saying she wants mummy...its nearly 11pm and she's not been to sleep yet!!

QTPie Wed 26-Nov-14 23:22:50

Lots of upheaval? Maybe natural. Insecure?

She is 3 - pushing boundaries is also natural.

Personally, re sleeping, either I would ignore it or I would put a spare mattress, duvet and pillow on the floor and lie there until she sleeps - any messing around and I would go. You would probably find that she settles down and relaxes a bit and/or you can do gradual withdrawal later. Sounds like she just wants attention and company.

MoonshineWashingLine Thu 27-Nov-14 10:31:04

I'm very reluctant to get in to the habit of her going to sleep while I'm there. It's something I've managed to avoid so far and I doubt that it would work as she's not used to me being there when she's going to sleep. Last night she was screaming at the top of her voice but as soon as I went in to her room she calmed down and just kept saying that she didn't want to go to sleep. When she did finally go off at half 11ish, she woke up at 1 saying she didnt like the monsters and again at 4 saying that she didn't want to go back to sleep again. Then she woke me up this morning by screaming at the top of her voice again! I don't know where this has all come from!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now