Talk

Advanced search

Need a sleep queue for a 4 week old. He's fighting it all day! - Help

(9 Posts)
Festivalqueen1 Wed 26-Nov-14 21:03:42

Please please advise me: 4 week old (DS2) cant get to sleep without wearing himself out crying. DS1 (now 3.8 yrs old) always fell asleep on the boob but DS2 doesnt.

He fights sleep all day, miserably, but sleeps well at night with 1 hour long feed at 3am.
I tried a dummy but he isnt keen. Tried dark room, rocking, up on shoulder, patting, swaddling etc etc. Nothing works so far.

minipie Thu 27-Nov-14 13:53:23

Sounds overtired.

Suggest long pram walks (or walk with him in sling if not too heavy), ideally with some sort of blackout over the pram. Not intended as a permanent solution but just for a few days to get some sleep into him and sort the overtiredness. Then after that, you may find he goes back to falling asleep on the boob/dark room etc.

frankiebuns Thu 27-Nov-14 16:00:15

My daughter refuses to sleep during the day but if she's grumpy she loves her pram pushed back and forth and she will sleep 3 hours in there. Otherwise it's cat naps my ds slept well in the day but not at night dd sleeps from 9.30pm to 7am and has done for 5 weeks she's now 15 weeks! She's a Velcro baby so hard to get anything done in the day

Festivalqueen1 Thu 27-Nov-14 21:25:20

Minipie I did that today and he slept all morning. I guess the baby weight will come off quicker!

Frankiebuns yes my ds2 is the same. Great at night but sensitive during the day. Doesn't help that ds1 kisses him constantly and wakes him up as soon as he's drifting off.

Littlef00t Fri 28-Nov-14 19:35:47

At this age dd was falling asleep on DH all the time. At about 8 weeks took her out in the pram for every nap to break the association and after a couple of weeks of less and less walking and movement, slept well in the pram or cot.

pebblepots Fri 28-Nov-14 21:14:58

How about getting him hooked on a muslin (handy as i'm guessing you have one around for feeding, so nice connotations) or soft toy and using a particular song? My little one liked 'hush little baby' I used to sing or hum that so much!

dameagatha Fri 28-Nov-14 21:28:06

White noise - am quite Evangelical about it! Discovered it with DS1 at 3-4mths, started DS2 on it from the start. They both react immediately to it & settle for sleep. We also use it to block out child grunting noises! Recommend water/rain/wave noises smile

sugarsinner Sat 29-Nov-14 02:55:09

Walks in the pram work for us, but I gradually introduced DD to sleeping in her bouncer with vibrate on at around 8 weeks to keep her upright due to reflux. She screamed at first so I had to bounce/stroke her. Now I can just put her in, vibrate on, same blanket on her legs, dummy in and she falls asleep within 10 minutes usually. It took us ages to get to this point mind you! At first she would cry and cry and cry. She sleeps more now at 17 weeks than she ever did at 4! Hang in there!

Festivalqueen1 Mon 01-Dec-14 21:47:55

He finally started falling asleep on my shoulder today (3 times) without crying until exhausted. Unfortunately he has also co slept all week too which stops me getting any good sleep. Arrrgh! Also cant get him down for the night until 9:30ish. Is this normal?

Thanks for all your ideas. Will try white noise first :0)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now