Talk

Advanced search

40 minutes to change a baby's outfit!?

(19 Posts)
PurplePunkPrincess Sun 23-Nov-14 14:12:25

I mean this with no harm but I just watched him change our nearly 6month old's wet nappy and outfit and it took him 40 minutes.

Is this normal for men?

ReallyTired Sun 23-Nov-14 14:15:30

He needs more practice. Did he bath the baby? I am surprised it took so long.
I think its daunting for anyone to change a baby for the first time.

Trapper Sun 23-Nov-14 14:17:36

For men? shock

I am a man and have two toddlers who are 12 months apart. If it took 40 minutes to change one, nothing would ever get done smile

BertieBotts Sun 23-Nov-14 14:18:08

It's normal (ish) for someone who has very little experience with babies. I hope this isn't your husband! If so, he's on dressing duty for the next few weeks, get some practice!!

BertieBotts Sun 23-Nov-14 14:18:40

Nothing to do with presence of boobs or balls.

Trapper Sun 23-Nov-14 14:24:24

Bertie makes a good point - does he do it often? It can be daunting - especially if you have an audience and you are inexperienced.

Maybe you should do some time trials with him - get a stop watch and play the theme from countdown every time he does an outfit change.

PurplePunkPrincess Sun 23-Nov-14 15:05:08

he's done it a few times, not as often as he could have! It wasn't after a bath, he had just dribbled a lot. The baby, not my DP. It is his first baby but still 40 minutes with a baby who was co operating well other than sucking on his hands!

Littlef00t Sun 23-Nov-14 15:13:16

Wow I'm v impressed ds was patient enough to put up with the faffing for that long!

WineWineWine Sun 23-Nov-14 15:41:45

Sounds like he lacks confidence and needs more practice.
Give him a bit of reassurance.

RoganJosh Sun 23-Nov-14 15:43:55

Sounds like he needs some more practise if he's only done it a few times in six months. Do you get time to yourself at the weekends often?

squizita Sun 23-Nov-14 16:03:27

Only on cure for it ... Do it more often!
I was painfully slow (I'm a mum) at 1st, as I was anxious and wanted to do it perfectly - and it was new. DH was quicker! Now we're both super quick and dd is between perfect fit on 2 sizes of nappy so just as well!!!

lauramoore1 Sun 23-Nov-14 16:08:26

In my opinion it depends on the age of the baby, whether its his first child, how much time he spends with the child. If he doesn't really get much practice then hes bound to be a little slow when changing the baby but 40 minutes, wow! Should check the Guinness book of records? Might have hit a high with that one!xx

ChippingInAutumnLover Sun 23-Nov-14 16:18:37

Oh my word, I'd have lost it after 5. The man needs a LOT more practise!!

40 minutes... it's a wonder your baby wasn't howling the place down from frustration and boredom!

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Sun 23-Nov-14 16:34:15

My DH is slower than me, but don't think he's ever taken 40 minutes! Never timed though...
We're you standing over watching? Could have made him nervous and slowed him down.
Definitely needs more practice!

eurochick Sun 23-Nov-14 16:37:04

Why were you watching? Couldn't you just have left him to it?

PolterGoose Sun 23-Nov-14 16:40:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChimesAndCarols Sun 23-Nov-14 17:32:30

It was 40 minutes of quality time with Daddy smile

PurplePunkPrincess Sun 23-Nov-14 17:38:03

I wasn't watching over him, was just laying on the sofa ( kidney infection) I think facebook and sky sports kept distracting him!

I'm not fussed, just a bit surprised and assumed he couldn't be the slowest!

TheSkiingGardener Sun 23-Nov-14 22:03:08

We have a 4 yo and a 1 yo. DH is a hands on dad and changes them many, many times. He could easily take 40 minutes over an outfit change, especially if a football match or F1 were on at the same time.

In that situation I'd just get some chocolate and eat it before I had to share it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now