Talk

Advanced search

Do you buy parents a drink when hosting a kids party?

(26 Posts)
redmimi Sat 22-Nov-14 23:37:58

Hi, we're having dds 4th birthday party at a soft play centre and as I'm new to all this I don't know what the etiquette is. Will parents expect a drink? If not will it be a welcome gesture or appear over the top? Any tips welcome!

IDontDoIroning Sat 22-Nov-14 23:40:54

No I never did for my dc parties -and I never expected it when I was a guest (or rather oarent of guest)

NetballHoop Sat 22-Nov-14 23:42:28

God no. Let them eat some of the left over sandwiches but that's it.

If it was at your house then I'd offer tea and coffee.

ReallyBadParty Sat 22-Nov-14 23:43:54

I did, though dd was younger. I think it's a nice thing to do.

mamababa Sat 22-Nov-14 23:45:14

No. They get their own. If it was at my house then yes, but not at soft play

itiswhatitiswhatitis Sat 22-Nov-14 23:51:03

I always do but I certainly don't expect others to do the same. So I think you're fine not to.

BackforGood Sat 22-Nov-14 23:51:56

No. If they choose to stay, they look out for themselves.

Finola1step Sat 22-Nov-14 23:52:56

Yes, first cup of tea or coffee. After that, they're in their own.

Only1scoop Sat 22-Nov-14 23:53:35

Yes just one

Finola1step Sat 22-Nov-14 23:54:52

Should add. Only for pre school birthday party where it's expected that a parent would stay (especially in a v busy soft play place). Once they start school, it's kiss goodbye, drop and run.

ZenNudist Sat 22-Nov-14 23:56:06

I had a party at a place which offered unlimited tea or coffee for adults for a quid pr child, so I did that.

Don't bother at soft play parties. Adults can get their own cuppa .

number1daddy Sun 23-Nov-14 00:04:09

I've always been offered tea whether it was a party at playgroup, soft play areas and so on. It's a small touch but makes a big difference.

Viviennemary Sun 23-Nov-14 00:07:47

I don't think it would enter my head to buy the parents a drink. The party is for the children not for the parents. But if you want to by all means do.

Flibbertyjibbet Sun 23-Nov-14 00:12:05

I always used to tell the cafe at soft play to bill me for one cuppa each for guests parents. If it was at my house I'd give them a drink, and I don't see why they should be out of pocket for having to hang around at those places.

ChippingInAutumnLover Sun 23-Nov-14 00:12:48

Definitely not over the top. If you can easily afford it, it's a nice gesture as the children are quite young to just be left, but it's certainly not expected at that type of venue, so don't stretch to do it. Either way will be fine.

FelixTitling Sun 23-Nov-14 00:17:53

I usually do, but by the time I've got the kids sorted etc, most people have bought their own. I think its nice, but not necessary, to offer though.

GingerDoodle Sun 23-Nov-14 08:00:07

I wouldn't expect one at a soft play place but one of my friends took a few bottles of coke/ lemonade which I thought was nice.

Parties at home i always provide drinks and alcohol but that's a me thing - I like our paroles to be enjoyable for the adults too!!

Panzee Sun 23-Nov-14 08:13:02

I had a tab running, think it had a £30 limit. Not many parents used it.

LittleLionMansMummy Sun 23-Nov-14 08:46:12

Our ds had his yesterday, same age. We bought parents one each but I've never 'expected' it from others so you're probably fine either way.

dancingwitch Sun 23-Nov-14 08:50:45

Whilst I prefer it if you do, what I find matters more is if you provide drinks for the children go have whilst playing - a couple of jugs of squash or water or something - as the usual set up is play for an hour before eating & the children can get really hot in that hour.

DaisyFlowerChain Sun 23-Nov-14 11:41:35

Yes we did, cake and a drink if they stayed as its what I would offer if they were guests in our home.

elsbethy Sun 23-Nov-14 11:52:13

We went to one yesterday (kids were 3-4 so all parents stayed) and didn't get a drink. I stole some of DD's squash.

PuppyMonkey Sun 23-Nov-14 11:53:52

No.

Sidge Sun 23-Nov-14 11:54:13

When we used to do parties at soft play, the places often organised a tray of hot water, disposable cups, tea, coffee and milk for a fiver or so which worked well.Worth asking if they can do that.

If parents wanted anything else or posh coffee they could go and get it themselves.

rookiemater Sun 23-Nov-14 11:54:21

As a parent I wouldn't expect it but I would be pleased if it was offered. At DS's last soft play party, i went round and bought coffees for some of the parents, but only the ones that had arrived in good time as after that I was too busy bringing presents to the car and minding upset DCs whose parents had left.
Why not ask the soft play what they'd be prepared to offer?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now