Talk

Advanced search

Baby being rough, just a phase? Any advice

(5 Posts)
Tactleneck Sat 22-Nov-14 20:42:06

Dd (dc3) is nearly 8 months and is incredibly rough with me. She's bf and co-sleeps so during feeds or at night she pinches, scratches and generally grabs any flesh. When she sits on my lap she also headbutts me. I have scratch marks all over my chest, tummy etc.

I know it's just a phase she'll grow out of but any tips for encouraging her to be gentle? I've tried a nursing necklace, moving her hand and saying no but she just thinks it's a game! It's starting to drive me batty especially at night when I'm half asleep and grumpy

chan321 Sun 23-Nov-14 23:18:22

My little girl can be a little like this and started at a similar age to your little one.... She's 11 months now and much better but I have had to be quite firm with her.

When she grabs/pinches/pulls just say ouch, quickly grab her hand and move it away and very firmly and confidently say no. And keep her nails trimmed short lol

Like I said my little girl was the same but it much more gentle now

minipie Sun 23-Nov-14 23:29:54

Does she have a comforter? Just wondering if she had something else to grab it might spare you a bit. Sounds like she's a child who needs to touch something, DD was quite similar and she has always loved to stroke/bite/squeeze her comforters.

Allstoppedup Sun 23-Nov-14 23:33:13

My little boy goes through phases (he's 11 months) he thinks head butts are hilarious(?!)

He is sometimes pinchy, scratchy and um, I guess I'd say enthusiastically rough.

It does change and drop off as he learns a new skill/ development though.

We try to teach him the word gentle. I stroke his face and arms whilst saying it and if he gets over excited take his hands and guide him to more gentle/careful touch. I avoid the word no and instead explain it is unkind/hurts so he will (hopefully) start to understand, I usually put on a sad face then a happy, smiley face and tone when I say 'gentle'.

Distraction is a good technique too! I bought a fiddle bead necklace for nursing which has helped and make sure I wear a t-shirt to co sleep with him and keep his nails short too so we avoid accidental scratching!

Hope some of that might be useful to you. I don't know if it will work in the long term but it seems to help a little! He doesn't hair pull anymore!grin

Good luck with your little bruiser!

Allstoppedup Sun 23-Nov-14 23:34:47

Ooh see you tried nursing necklace...

A muslin/blankie might be better.

It's frustrating repeating yourself but I think repetition is all they understand this young!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now