Talk

Advanced search

Separation anxiety..already?

(9 Posts)
TheGirlAtTheRockShow Sat 22-Nov-14 08:44:12

DD is 21 weeks old, 16 weeks adjusted. I know there's a wonder week around now which can make babies grumpy, exacerbated for my DD by teething. However, she screams when held by anyone else, screams if I leave the room, screams if I even put her down.
I have a bad back and a broken finger so this is making life very difficult now. I use a sling when I can - but fiddly to put on and off with the broken finger.
Any coping tips? Or do I just just ride it out and keep holding her all the time? I'm not worried about housework. Just want 5 minutes to drink a hot cup of tea, or take a shower!

Tallblue Sat 22-Nov-14 16:25:13

Is your DD ok in her pram? My 14 week old DD has similar phases and getting out for a walk helps her to sleep a little and she continues to sleep for a few more minutes after we get home. Even pushing her around indoors works sometimes. Other things that have helped are having DD in her bouncer right at my feet when sitting on the sofa, keeping hands on her so she feels 'held' then letting go slowly when she has calmed a bit. Also, for a few minutes in times of desperation, YouTube clips of 'Baby Einstein' are fantastic for a bit of distraction, she will sit in her bouncer and watch it whilst I quickly go to the bathroom or grab a bite to eat. I did think I would never plonk my baby in front of the TV, but needs must! When she is clingy and screaming I tell myself 'this too shall pass' and try to remember to stop and breathe in her baby cuddliness as one day I guess I'll look back and wish I hadn't wished the time away...

Showy Sat 22-Nov-14 16:27:47

DS's separation anxiety started at 4/5 months. He lived in the sling.

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Sun 23-Nov-14 04:17:18

Thanks for responses.
tallblue my DD doesn't sleep in the pram - she's too blooming nosey and prefers to watch the world go by.

It's nice that she wants me, it's just relentless as she wants ONLY me. I've been on my own all week, then my mum comes to help and DD won't have her!

Coyoacan Sun 23-Nov-14 05:06:25

My dd was like that from the age of 3 months. The only person who could mind her when I wasn't there used to swaddle her.

GingerSkin Sun 23-Nov-14 05:22:53

Get yourself to a proper sling meeting, they'll find you one that isn't fiddly (ring sling may help).

I remember this stage well, teething contributed to a lot of the misery so powders / amber necklace / calpol were my friend. I also got dd in the habit of napping in her cot at the side of me or in my bed so I could lie down too.

As pp said, repeat: this too shall pass, this too shal pass....

butterfly86 Sun 23-Nov-14 20:49:10

My dd is 22 weeks and is so clingy for me my dm had hold of her about ten feet away from me at a party yesterday and she was sobbing, tears and everything I got hold of her and she turned and smiled at dm grin I can put her down and go in to the kitchen etc at home and she'll play happily. Its definately worse when she's tired I've found.

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Mon 24-Nov-14 02:58:32

ginger she doesn't like the powders - tries to spit them out. Does take calpol. Gels don't work. She does nap in her cot, but has always been a cat napper.

butterfly that's exactly it. My mum holding her and she screams. As soon as I take her she's all smiles. Would only hand her over when I know for a fact there is nothing else she needs (not hungry, clean nappy) but she just won't have it.

DH home now, will be at work in the day but at least home in evenings. Hoping she continues to be settled with him.

elelfrance Tue 25-Nov-14 14:06:10

My LO started freaking out with anyone but us at around 4 months too, but got over it at about 10 months, when some other babies are only getting into it.
When my mum would come to visit from another country, it would take nearly a full day of gradually getting closer before my LO would let her pick her up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now