Talk

Advanced search

Refusing milk when unwell

(12 Posts)
Griffomais Fri 21-Nov-14 18:26:05

My DD has a cold at the moment so her appetite isn't as it normally is. She still gets 9oz of milk before bed. Last night she only took 1/2 of it and tonight only 2oz. She's screaming whenever the bottle goes near her - should I just leave it or keep her up and persevere? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

TallulahTwinkletoes Fri 21-Nov-14 18:59:08

Is it because her nose is blocked and she's struggling to breathe and suck and gives up?

Have you tried saline/one of those pumps if it is snot related?

Griffomais Fri 21-Nov-14 19:38:11

Thanks Tallulah she won't let me near her with anything at all- couldn't even get a syringe of Calpol into her. So now she is in bed fast asleep with hardly any milk and no medicine :0((. She cried (screamed) herself to sleep so now I feel like the worlds worst Mum. My husband works away so I'm on my own. Feel a bit helpless.

Spellcheck Fri 21-Nov-14 19:43:32

I sympathise - got DCs aged 21 months and 8 months in bed upstairs with vile head colds having not had 2 ounces of milk between them today. Both normally great drinkers of milk. Entire day spent grizzling, cried themselves to sleep. Horrible isn't it? Another dreadful night ahead of us, don't think I can take much more!

fishfingerSarnies Fri 21-Nov-14 19:44:34

She's asleep, just focus on that for now have a cup of tea or glass of wine and relax if she's poorly you might have a long night ahead of you. When she wakes up offer milk and try again to sneak some calpol into her get it in her cheek that's the easiest way.
Don't feel like a bad mum, she's ill she's going to cry try not to be too hard on yourself.
How old is she?

Griffomais Fri 21-Nov-14 19:53:00

Thanks everyone she just turned 1 last week. It's horrible plus she's a screamer the loudest I've ever heard and nothing calms her down it's sometimes unbearable it makes me physically sweat (sorry that if that sounds like TMI). This is night 5 of bad bedtimes and I know it'll pass but I just feel like crying. Now I just sound crazy!

Griffomais Fri 21-Nov-14 19:54:28

She also had her MMR and another 2 injection earlier in the week so maybe that's making her out of sorts too.

TallulahTwinkletoes Fri 21-Nov-14 20:18:02

Poor little thing. It's not tmi, we ALL know that feeling.

If she won't let you near her I recommend karvol drops. I put them right on her collar and they really help, also snuffle baby. Especially on toes, apparently. I also wait til she's in a deep sleep to get all the snot out grin

Spellcheck Fri 21-Nov-14 22:33:05

I think milk makes the mucus worse - 8 month old just took 6 oz and promptly threw it all up after a bout of horrible coughing along with loads of mucus. 21 month old up and screaming, DH taken him out of bed. Olbas Oil and Snuffle Babe not working tonight! Nor are saline drops and he won't let me near him with the suction thing to get all the snot up. Raaaaah!!!
When my older 3 DC were tiny, we used to have Medised, which helped dry up the mucus and helped them sleep. Is it true they stopped selling it because people were using it willy-nilly to get their kids to sleep? I hate those people right now!

Spellcheck Fri 21-Nov-14 22:35:12

MMR probably not helping Griffomais, but worth it! Hopefully this will be your last night of hell.

FastWindow Fri 21-Nov-14 22:39:22

Second the poster who said she is refusing due to being unable to breathe and drink.

Karvol is great but discontinued sad

Also, milk sick is the worst thing ever. Have water available - she's one, so didn't rely on milk anywhere near as much as say a six mo would. Can you try a sippy cup just to get fluids in? She'll be able to breathe easier whilst still drinking.

Griffomais Sat 22-Nov-14 08:38:35

Thanks again everyone for all the advice. DD actually slept all night with a couple of cries in her sleep. Things always look better in the morning don't they? I managed to get her to eat some porridge and take some milk. She seems to be more willing to accept Calpol this morning too and no struggling to put on Snufflebabe and use the nasal spray. Spellcheck hope your lo are ok this morning. Someone was telling me about Medised the other day apparently it's still available but only for 6 years old plus as you say people were using it to make their babies sleep. All your comments really helped me when I was feeling a bit desperate so thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now