Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Baby monitor hack horror! Is mine safe!?

(7 Posts)
xelliebellywellyx Thu 20-Nov-14 19:14:43

I was absolutely horrified to hear on the news today that a Russian website is streaming videos of British babies and children by hacking into their video baby monitors! This has totally freaked me out. I love my video monitor: I didn't have one with ds1 as they weren't around much 5 years ago but now I have one with ds2 its so useful to see them as well as hear them.
Does anyone know what kind of monitors this could happen to? Is it just the wifi ones, or all of them!?

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 20-Nov-14 19:18:20

home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/tech-news/webcam-hackers-spying-on-families-11363945178729

sleepyhead Thu 20-Nov-14 19:23:19

Sounds like it's only cameras where you can log in and watch the videos online, and even then only when people have been naive enough to use the default password.

I can't imagine this will affect many baby monitor users, and if it does, all you need to do is change your password.

BlackbirdOnTheWire Thu 20-Nov-14 19:25:20

It's not baby monitors, it's remote access cameras, e.g. CCTV camera or webcam linked to a server, streamed to your laptop/device. More nannycam than babycam. They're the ones that come with a password, you enter the password on whatever device, wherever you are, and you can see the cam feed.

not your home video monitor which relies on a radio channel, and your receiver unit has to be within 100m, ie the kind you use when you're in the sitting room and the baby's in its own room.

BlackbirdOnTheWire Thu 20-Nov-14 19:25:58

X-post sleepyhead

xelliebellywellyx Thu 20-Nov-14 19:33:28

Phew thanks everyone for clearing that up smile the news was very vague about it, and when I googled it I couldn't find a definitive answer. Panic over. Makes me shudder to think of helpless children being watched like that. I read that in America, someone had hacked into a two year old's monitor and was calling her a slut down the microphone shock what horrible vile people there are in the world!
Thanks everyone smile

MiaowTheCat Fri 21-Nov-14 19:48:06

It's ones like the kind I have where you can go to a website or app and check in on it when out of your home... and if you're a numpty and haven't changed the password to it. I'm not particularly concerned about it - my password's changed and I've always been aware of the theoretical risk that it's possible - ours would be one very very uninteresting view really and the audio talkback on ours only works when connected from within the home wifi network so that's not an issue.

I tend to work on the assumption that there's a tiny possibility that anything network connected with either webcam or microphone could be abused though anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now