Talk

Advanced search

baby led weaning

(9 Posts)
frankiebuns Thu 20-Nov-14 15:07:20

My dd is 14 weeks and is very interested in food watches you like a hawk when eating licks her lips and mouths a lot like she wants it. My ds was not like this and is still not interested in food which being a foodie myself I can't understand but do I dare risk starting weaning or shall I wait until the magical 6 months like my hv says I can't bare eating in front of her at the moment as she wants it. And I also want to introduce juice is that still 6 months I tried with ds but he hated it. I also weaned him at 6 months

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Thu 20-Nov-14 15:09:48

Too early. I think 17 weeks it the very earliest but only if recommended by medical professionals.

Why do you want to introduce juice?

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 20-Nov-14 15:10:41

14 weeks really is too young. And surely water is enough in addition to milk?

TobyLerone Thu 20-Nov-14 15:15:20

Far too early. Wait until 6 months, especially if you're wanting to do BLW. Licking their lips etc is just something that babies do.

Are you BF? Why do you want to give her juice? She doesn't need anything but milk and possibly water even after 6 months.

frankiebuns Thu 20-Nov-14 15:22:43

She is ff hv has said try her on juice she has 3-4 oz . Of water a day on top of feeds but I wanted to introduce juice and different foods as my ds hates food eats enough for a fly and I'm sure it was because had jars of food and no real food as I was working full time

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 20-Nov-14 15:28:01

There is no point whatsoever of introducing juice unless she refuses water (which I wouldnt even worry about until at least six months).

My LO is also FF and I only offer water if he seems a little constipated.

And you can i troduce "real foods" post six months. No need to do it now.

Im actually shock at your HV saying to introduce juice. Thats really shit advice.

TobyLerone Thu 20-Nov-14 15:30:05

I've never heard of a HV suggesting juice for a baby (unless v watered down for constipation).

tertle Thu 20-Nov-14 15:31:25

Just wait until she's 6 months and then do BLW. 14 weeks is far too young. Then you can then give her anything you want (pretty much). At 14 weeks my dd was showing interest in all sorts of things, including dh's pint of beer. Didn't mean we started giving her any!
In my opinion BLW is great fun but it's bloody messy. I wouldn't have wanted to start any earlier than the recommended 6 months for this reason alone!

StrangeGlue Thu 20-Nov-14 15:42:25

They watch you like a hawk by and large because you're their mum and everything you do is fascinating it's just way more noticeable at meal times as you're not as distracted (compared to loading washing machine) and not used to being observed while eating.

Anecdotally children weaned earlier do seem to be fussier but as I say that's anecdotal but I wouldn't bet on introducing things soon to prevent fussiness.

I wouldn't introduce juice at all ever if I could avoid it - pure sugar - and definitely not until they can drink from open cup due to damage to teeth from drinking it from bottle.

When you get to 6 months try blw then.

Hth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now