Talk

Advanced search

New baby - how to not ruin toddlers life forever :(

(3 Posts)
flipflopsonfifthavenue Thu 20-Nov-14 10:37:17

Ok, so my title was a bit dramatic..

DS2 is 2wks old and DS1 is 2.4yo. So far so good and DS1 is curious and interested and gentle with DS2.

The other day, DS1 was looking sad on the sofa so I asked him what was wrong and he came and sat on my lap (DS2 was with DP upstairs) and said sadly "mummy had a baby".

Almost broke my heart.

So, I know that DS2 needs lots of positive attention and love and as much time with me on his own as possible and as much continuity in his activities/routine etc to help him feel secure etc. I realise there will be jealousy episodes etc and people are giving me lots of advice but I still don't know if am doing it right.

Is there anything I can do that will well and truly ruin DS1's life forever and he be traumatised by this new arrival....??!! Just so I can see if am vaguely getting it right.

He'll forgive me won't he for having a baby?? sad

islandmama Thu 20-Nov-14 11:21:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TychosNose Thu 20-Nov-14 11:37:23

Two weeks is still early days. In another two weeks your toddler will have forgotten what life was like without the baby. Dc1 and I found it really hard adjusting to dc2, but 9 months later those early feelings are a distant memory for dc1 (I still feel guilty though).

Highly recommend the book "siblings without rivalry" for advice in dealing with the new addition sensitively.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now