Talk

Advanced search

When can DS (10wks) go swimming?

(11 Posts)
Crownjewel Wed 19-Nov-14 17:42:02

DS had his first set of jabs last week - is it safe to introduce him to the (very warm) swimming pool yet, or does he need to have had all 3 sets of jabs first? Thanks in advance!

DoItTooJulia Wed 19-Nov-14 17:43:45

I was told no jabs at all were needed!

Hopefully that's still true (DS is 2 now)

Showy Wed 19-Nov-14 17:45:48

Whenever you like; jabs are irrelevant.

Crownjewel Wed 19-Nov-14 17:48:23

Thanks both - I may have misunderstood a friend who told me they waited until their DD was 12mths as she hadn't had any immunisations at 8/12/16wks.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Wed 19-Nov-14 17:51:21

Jabs are irrelevant. The notion dates from when polio was prevalent and thought to be spread via swimming pools. It's not the case any more.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Wed 19-Nov-14 17:51:40

No jabs needed. At that age even a warm pool might be a bit cool though, without a little wetsuit.

mistymorningmemories Wed 19-Nov-14 17:53:14

They had a three day old baby at our local water babies a couple of weeks ago!!

pickwickcrocus Wed 19-Nov-14 18:02:32

Anytime you feel ready! My friend took her little boy to his first Waterbabies class at 12 days old. The lessons were in a hydrotherapy pool though so it was very warm, I wouldn't take a teeny one to our local pool as its just too chilly for newborns, even with a wetsuit.

Crownjewel Wed 19-Nov-14 18:05:49

Thanks all smile I'll have a look online for a teeny tiny wetsuit!

ElphabaTheGreen Wed 19-Nov-14 18:14:10

DS1 started swimming at 8 weeks and DS2 at five weeks and neither of them wore wetsuits - they're a waste of money, especially for a 10 week old, as long as the pool is warm enough. Just use a double nappy - a cloth or disposable swimming nappy covered by tight neoprene trunks (look for Splash About on Amazon). Don't get the neoprene in a big size 'to grow into' or you'll get poo leakage.

Allstoppedup Wed 19-Nov-14 18:16:12

Yep, we started Water Babies lessons when DS was 8 weeks and LOVED them. You can get great all body suits but I would recommend getting a neoprene 'nappy' to go over the swim nappy to wear to prevent any, um unfortunate leakages! Have fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now