Talk

Advanced search

Hamley's or Harrods for a 9 year old to spend his Christmas Money?

(48 Posts)
hulahoopsilove Wed 19-Nov-14 13:52:10

Ds has been to London before but never taken him to Hamley's or to the Harrods Toys Dept. Which do you think would be more exciting for him to spend his money planning on coming between Christmas and the NY

NorwaySpruce Wed 19-Nov-14 13:56:32

There are more toys in Hamley's obviously.

Unless he particularly wants to go to Harrods (on account of having watched Mr Bean's Christmas or something grin) I'd go to Hamley's.

You've got the whole of Regent St & Oxford Street for mooching around then too.

hulahoopsilove Wed 19-Nov-14 13:58:19

oh god my hub and DS would kill me if I suggested mooching around Regents/Oxford Street!!!

Threesocks Wed 19-Nov-14 14:14:26

Just be aware that Hamleys and Harrods are often more expensive that other places ...

Threesocks Wed 19-Nov-14 14:14:54

But of the two I think Hamley's is more exciting!!

Bragadocia Wed 19-Nov-14 14:14:58

But you could go to Liberty's, which feels wonderful at Christmas! I would vote Hamley's. Huge Apple store too.

KitKat1985 Wed 19-Nov-14 14:31:51

Hamleys would definitely be more fun for a 9 year old I would think. x

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 19-Nov-14 14:38:57

Honestly Hamley's is no better than a huge Toys are Us and much more expensive.

Guitargirl Wed 19-Nov-14 14:41:38

Harrods toy department gets absolutely depleted in the few days before Christmas, September-October time is the best time to go there IMO as their stock levels are full. I remember going there on the 23rd last year to get a
last minute request for one of the DCs and it all looked a bit bare.

NickiFury Wed 19-Nov-14 14:46:02

Hamley's has more toys but Harrods has more unusual toys. Still a lot of mainstream but not the ones you see all the time. It's also less manic and there are giant teddy bears in various uniforms positioned all over the store. It gets really busy but there's always a quiet little department you can escape to for a few minutes. Hamley's is just floor after floor of manic chaos.

wooldonor Wed 19-Nov-14 14:53:11

When I took my children to Hamleys they really could hardly have been any more underwhelmed.

It wasn't nearly as big as I thought it would be and everything was much more expensive than you'd pay in your local toy shop or Tesco.

Yes, it's fun to watch the demonstrations and try out the toys if you can get a go but really if I wanted to give a 9 year old a treat I wouldn't go to Hamleys.

Harrods imo is a bit better as at least you have the general vastness of the store and the spy department to look at.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 19-Nov-14 15:30:52

I'm not sure I could have been more underwhelmedgrin I think it used to be amazing before there were really huge toys stores but not any more. I am very easily pleased too so that shows how crap it wasgrin

howtodrainyourflagon Wed 19-Nov-14 15:35:07

Tbh I'd opt for selfridges as I find the customer service better. Nice toys too.

nancy75 Wed 19-Nov-14 15:40:52

Hamleys is horrible and tatty, self ridges is nice but toy bit is quite small ( although they do have a lovely gold toy Aston Martin for £30k) I would go to Harrods

ShatnersBassoon Wed 19-Nov-14 15:42:53

Hamley's is a pretty lacklustre store selling toys that every child has already seen in the supermarket.

Harrods is definitely more of an interesting destination shop.

LittleBearPad Wed 19-Nov-14 15:45:01

Hamleys is really tired and grotty. Harrods is much nicer and Toy Kingdom is huge. Selfridges toy department is rubbish comparatively - much like Selfridges itself it's style over substance.

SaucyMare Wed 19-Nov-14 15:54:43

Hamleys was bog standard and very crowded, no better than toys r us to be honest

ACheesePuff Wed 19-Nov-14 16:00:01

Toys r us is better and less than a rip off!

nancy75 Wed 19-Nov-14 16:04:05

Reading this it has struck what a shame it is that hamleys has become so crap. It has always been over priced but it used to be THE toy shop and a real treat to visit

NickiFury Wed 19-Nov-14 16:05:10

Toys R Us is everyday. Harrods is a lovely treat.

SaucyMare Wed 19-Nov-14 17:02:47

See we live an hour away fom toys r us, and such a drag saying no, no, no, it is def not everyday.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 19-Nov-14 17:09:42

Harrods.

Took dd to Hamleys a couple of years ago and wondered what the fuss was about.

fallingdownrabbit Wed 19-Nov-14 17:16:49

Harrods is an exciting treat beautifully set out and with amazing outrageously expensive things. Hamlets is grotty, overpriced, bog standard stock & always horribly crowded.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Wed 19-Nov-14 17:55:27

Harrods is exciting and lovely but you pay a markup for that. Hamleys is hell on earth and also overpriced.

wooldonor Wed 19-Nov-14 21:17:45

I'm surprised as how many people agree with me about Hamleys, people I know rave about it and I wondered if I was missing something grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now