Talk

Advanced search

Toddler - what's the best kind of costume for pool swimming?

(6 Posts)
daisychainmail Wed 19-Nov-14 13:12:17

We're going to start taking our 2 year old to the pool, but which kind of cossie would be best? A normal strappy leotard-type one (like I would wear) or a knee-length mini-wetsuit type costume (of the sort we had to block the sun on the beach?)

Thanks.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Wed 19-Nov-14 13:18:03

It depends on the temperature of the pool. DS, 2.5yrs, still needs a wetsuit at one local pool because the little pool is freezing, he wears a shorts and T-shirt style swimsuit for his swimming lessons because that pool is a bit warmer and just a swim nappy at the nice hot fun pool.

KatyN Wed 19-Nov-14 17:27:14

It also depends if you are planning on a sunny holiday.. If you are I'd go for the larger suit to protect from the sun.

My son had a full suit, shorts and tshirt in one with a zip up the back. Good for hiding the swim nappy and giving it another layer of protection just in case!

K

minipie Wed 19-Nov-14 18:15:32

Is your 2 year old toilet trained? If not then she'll need a neoprene swim nappy to catch any poo accidents. Those are shorts style rather than pants style, so I'd pick a costume that works with that. A leotard/adult style one won't work as the legs of the swim nappy will poke out and look weird (IMO), so I'd go for a mini wetsuit style. Or just the swim nappy on its own if the pool is warm enough.

DD wears a swim nappy on its own for warm indoor pools; swim nappy plus UV suit for hot sunny outdoor pools; and swim nappy plus mini wetsuit for cold pools. Yes she has a ridiculous amount of swimming gear!! But she doesn't own any leotard style or bikini style costumes as I don't think they'll work till she's toilet trained.

HearMyRoar Wed 19-Nov-14 20:38:15

My dd just wears some swim shorts. Its just so much easier to get her in and out of then a full swimming costume when she is tired, cold and hungry after a swim.

ReluctantCamper Wed 19-Nov-14 20:40:40

I loved my DS's neoprene wetsuit, kept him lovely and warm in the pool and teat for the beach. Size 0 fitted him from about age 2.5 to 3.5

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now