Talk

Advanced search

Book recommendations for improving self-esteem in an 8yo girl - that are not american...

(3 Posts)
bigmouthstrikesagain Mon 17-Nov-14 13:25:27

No offence to American self improvement books but I would love to know if there any books my dd would easily relate too. I am concerned about a few things my middle dd has said recently. Along the lines of thinking she is not as "special" as her younger sister. sad

DD is tall and a bit clumsy (just like me!) she is brunette to dd2's blond and she wears glasses. DD2 is charismatic and cute - not a lot we can do about that, but I feel that dd1 feels 'outshone' by her younger sibling and I need to do something. DD1 is no less special or beautiful to her family than either of her siblings... but clearly we are not communicating that well enough. dd2 needs more input with her reading and has different needs to her older sibling (which doesn't bother my older ds) which is just the way it is. But dd1 needs help as well and I will be working on how best to make sure she feels special and loved, but to supplement I think a book aimed at her age group/ gender will be useful. The face book group

a mighty girl

has some interesting positive book recommendations including A Smart girls guide to liking herself but reading through the reviews there is a suggestion that it conflates low self esteem and introverted personality types... this bothers me as I don't want dd's view of positive self image to be predicated on having lots of friends. Friends are great but she needs to feel good about being herself and valuing herself even though she does struggle with friendships at times.

Any ideas or similar experiences would be really appreciated - thank you.

RosieProbert Mon 17-Nov-14 13:28:11

I loved a series about anastasia krupnik when I was an awkward kid. They are American but not ott.

makeitabetterplace Mon 17-Nov-14 14:42:55

The ramona books are great and deal with a little girl who is clutch, does the wrong things etc it is American, sorry, but as a child I never found I couldn't relate to them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now