Talk

Advanced search

10 wk old, naps?

(9 Posts)
Honeybear30 Mon 17-Nov-14 10:34:56

Hi all, after some advice, as always, please!

My ten wk old DS is starting to get grumpy in the day. Before he would just fall asleep when tired but now the world is exciting and he is more alert he fights it and we end up having a horrible afternoon.

I'm just wondering how many hours a day roughly he should be napping? I'm not bothered about a rigid routine or making him sleep but I'm not sure I'm great at picking up on 'tired' cues which results in a grumpy baby. He's ebf and there is zero pattern to his feeds at the moment. Not sure if that's relevant.

I'm just looking for others experience really, e.g. Is it roughly two hours awake followed by a nap? Or three hours?

Any comments welcome!

CoolCat2014 Mon 17-Nov-14 13:13:09

No idea, DD is 9 wks, and some days she only naps for 10 min sessions, others she'll be asleep for two hours! I can't find any pattern, and am just going with the flow for now.

She's been fighting sleep a fair bit too, occasionally she we feed to sleep, but most the time it's lots of cuddles, singing, bouncing, and sometimes white noise to get her to sleep!

I think it's hard at this age to have a routine - seems like she changes every day!

Lorelei353 Mon 17-Nov-14 13:19:59

My DS at that age would go for about 1 1/2 hours awake before needing a nap. At about that time I'd see the cues - he'd start yawning and being irritable. He wasn't a great napper though and would sleep for 30 mins on the dot.

katandkits Mon 17-Nov-14 13:24:35

Yes, id say 90 minutes maximum awake time, perhaps two hours on occasion if the nap before was a long one.

Honeybear30 Mon 17-Nov-14 18:00:47

I was just going with the flow but I think I need to intervene, he's getting tired and a right grump! I'll try and keep an eye on the time and settle for naps I think. He had a two hour nap while we were out but that was due to the car today, and I can't do that every day! He settled with a dummy this evening to so I think I need to persevere and be aware of the time. Thanks all!

Any other helpful tips welcome.

batmanandrobin Mon 17-Nov-14 19:26:57

how are you feeding? my dd had a catnap between each feed. at 10wk i was ff and she used to have maybe 20 min every 2-3hrs and i used to call it "a pre feed sulk" as she would fall asleep on my shoulder as i made the bottle up.

there's nothing wrong with sitting in a rocking chair or standing and swinging with some music and dummy if you think a little sleep would help bring baby content again. i went through a stage where i felt i shouldn't 'force' dd to sleep but she's happier once her batteries are recharged smile

Honeybear30 Mon 17-Nov-14 19:45:35

I'm breastfeeding, on demand. he often falls asleep feeding which means I can't out him down without waking him. So I'd like to start self soothing techniques really. But the logical 'EASY' routine doesn't really work when DS falls asleep after 'E' and then feeds so frequently we don't often get a good sleep as he wants feeding again.

I think I'm getting frustrated because everything before was just 'go with the flow' and now I need to intervene to keep him happy I'm finding it hard to know what will work. I guess I just have to keep trying different things. Dummy seems To be helping, except having to put the bloody thing back in all the time!

mrsmugoo Mon 17-Nov-14 19:54:56

At 10 weeks I did a lot of pushchair naps - pushchair walk for half an hour (nap), meet someone for coffee/lunch. Pushchair walk home for half an hour (nap)

Honeybear30 Mon 17-Nov-14 20:47:20

Yes perhaps when I'm not out in the car I should stick him in his pram. It's a fail safe solution! And perhaps will help me shape up to smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now