Talk

Advanced search

TEETHING JOY

(5 Posts)
SEH23 Mon 17-Nov-14 08:24:15

my DD has first tooth smile it's been a long time coming but it's here and shiny and white. now what?

any tips on brushing.. do we need to start brushing straight away? should i let her do it. she's nearly 6 months so more than able to hold herself and sit up etc.

tips on where? bath maybe?

thanks!!!

minipie Mon 17-Nov-14 12:06:40

In theory yes you need to start brushing from now. You need to do it - they can't brush their own teeth effectively till at least pre school age. But by all means let her have a go as well.

I suspect brushing at this very early stage isn't hugely critical in terms of tooth hygiene (more important to not allow juice/milk bottle in cot) but it's good to establish it as part of the daily routine so there will hopefully be less of a fight later!

TBH I found that wiping the teeth with a wet flannel was more effective/easier at this age than using a brush. In the bath seems as good a place as any!

Pointlessfan Mon 17-Nov-14 12:16:06

I asked the dentist about this last week. She said to start gently brushing teeth and gums with no toothpaste to start with, to get them used to it as much as anything. When they have more teeth use a tiny amount of baby toothpaste.
I asked about night feeds and she said not to worry about it as it would be unrealistic to expect tooth brushing in the middle of the night (so that was a relief!).

Lovelise Mon 17-Nov-14 12:49:27

Hiya, my DD has 2 teeth and we brush them with a baby toothbrush and a little baby toothpaste. I brush them then let DD have a go. Its all about her getting used to the toothbrush.

We also use Brushbaby (Boots sell them) which you pop on your index finger and then rub on the teeth and gums. DD loves them as she gets to chew mummy's finger!

Littlef00t Mon 17-Nov-14 18:30:04

I brush them (just two front teeth so far) then give her the brush to chew on. Also planning on buying a chew toothbrush teether thingy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now