Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

How to get calcium into a 20mth old

(9 Posts)
talulahbeige Sat 15-Nov-14 19:06:39

My 20mth old will no longer drink plain milk since I stopped giving it in a bottle a month ago.
She will happily drink flavoured milks but the sugar content bothers me, she won't eat cheese at all. She has a yoghurt for lunch and tea but there is only so much yoghurt I can give her.

How else can I get more calcium into her please?
Or even better, how can I get her to drink milk again?

AmandaTanen Sat 15-Nov-14 19:11:59

We had this issue, we made mash veg and potatoes with added whole milk, cheese sauces and cooked fish in milk. When she started going to nursery her milk intake increased again.

iwantgin Sat 15-Nov-14 19:14:55

Many green leafy vegetables contain a lot of calcium.

Also some fish, and beans.

Spinach
Kale
Okra
Collards
Soybeans
White beans
Some fish, like sardines, salmon, perch, and rainbow trout
Foods that are calcium-fortified, such as some orange juice, oatmeal, and breakfast cereal

I haven't touched milk since I was a very young child and my bones seem to be okay (at 46!).

iwantgin Sat 15-Nov-14 19:15:57

More ideas here

foods

MoreSnowPlease Sat 15-Nov-14 19:17:16

Garden peas?

merlehaggard Sat 15-Nov-14 19:22:49

I had this issue. My daughter wouldn't eat/drink any dairy, no green veg etc and my opportunities for getting calcium in her with minimal. My friend's daughter was extremely allergic to dairy and had been prescribed calcium medicine. I went to the doctors and explained and asked to be prescribed it, which he did. It took the stress out of planning meals. As time went on she started eating cheese and yoghurts and drinking milk, eating any veg etc and now we don't have a problem, but was very glad of it for a few years.

merlehaggard Sat 15-Nov-14 19:30:12

We also tried this http://www.tropicana.co.uk/our-ranges/essentials/calcium/.

HotMommy Sat 15-Nov-14 19:30:40

My daughter is allergic to dairy. They don't really need a huge amount of milk anyway if they have a good diet otherwise, but if you want reassurance, halibirange do a calcium softie vitamin that our allergy dietician recommended.

talulahbeige Sun 16-Nov-14 06:05:12

Thank you all for your suggestions, it's appreciated. I will be try many of them. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now