Talk

Advanced search

Toddler meal plan

(12 Posts)
Denisedenise Sat 15-Nov-14 14:47:09

Hi

I am looking for some inspiration. I currently work part time and whilst working, 18 month old DS goes to his child minder. My current working hours don't fit in very well with meal time and DS is at the stage of wanting to eat by himself. I pick him up at 5.15pm and have to rush home and get something cooked before he is upset with being over hungry. I would link to know if any of you are in a similar situation and what to you feed your toddler? Something quick and easy, nutricious and enjoyable all at the same time? Is there such a thing?

justcallmethefixer Sat 15-Nov-14 15:11:32

Pasta was a go to of mine when in your situation, although my dd was a year older. Cook pasta, add some peas and sweet corn to the boiling pasta for last 5 mins, drain, stir through tuna, diced ham, cream cheese or similar. Dinner in around 15 mins.

A also used a slow cooker a lot so dinner was waiting when I get in. I still use the slow cooker now even though my dc is now 14

If your dc is having a main meal at the cm' then sandwiches or something on toast is quick

Denisedenise Sat 15-Nov-14 15:23:30

Thank you just, sounds good. Not tried different pasta dishes yet. Will try and organise myself with some of those ingredients! I don't want to get into the habit of fish fingers or chicken nuggets every night lol.
He doesn't get main meal at cm unfortunately, I give him a sandwich at lunch time and some fruit and yogurt. Really struggling with ideas for lunch time too x

HotMommy Sat 15-Nov-14 18:45:52

My 2 year old is at nursery all day and we don't get home until about 5:30, so she is usually hungry and tired and generally at the end of her tether while waiting for dinner. I've tried to solve this by having really quick things ready to pop in the oven. I buy fish fillets and chicken breasts and cut them up into serving size pieces and put them in the freezer. I pop one in the fridge to defrost in the morning and then it's just 10 mins baking in the oven. I do pasta, couscous or rice at the same time and throw in some veggies. Frozen peas are so easy, just pop them in some boiling water for a minute. I also cook lots of things on the weekends that can be put in the freezer and cooked up the sane way - burgers, fish cakes, spag in individual portions, etc. I also find that if I chop up some raw veggies and give them to her while she is waiting for dinner it keeps her happy and she eats loads of veg that she might not eat if it was on her dinner plate- cucumber, carrots, peppers, etc. basically I just try and have healthy and easy things available to cook quickly. Also things like beans on toast are fine and easy. I have friends who always just save some of their dinner to give to their toddler the next day - I try to do this too but my daughter has food allergies so can't have all of our meals, but it's great to give them leftovers whenever you can.

Fantail Sun 16-Nov-14 02:20:33

We give DD a very small snack on the way home to stave off the worst of the hunger. Avoids the meltdowns.

Omelette is quick. Serve with peas, corn etc or stir in some baby spinach.

Small fillets of fish are also quick. I cook it in the oven in a foil parcel with a little bit of lemon and olive oil.

I also have little frittatas in the freezer that are easy to defrost and are great for lunches too.

Denisedenise Sun 16-Nov-14 07:48:16

Thank you for your input. I think its my organising skills that are failing here. Thanks for some of your ideas. I think I may draw up a meal plan today and see how thins week goes smile x

Mrsgrumble Sun 16-Nov-14 07:54:14

I cook batches of beef casserole with sweet porato, spinach etc or bolognese if lentil and veg type dishes end freeze. So I only have to hat when I get home

Curiouslygrumpycola Sun 16-Nov-14 07:54:36

I think the slow cooker is your friend. Then you are only waiting for rice or (quick cook) pasta. If the side is potatoes I put then in the slow cooker too. Leftovers are then frozen for a future meal or given for lunch the next day.

Your lunches sound fine. Can you maybe just mix it up with left over dinners or send some soup with the sandwiches.

Mrsgrumble Sun 16-Nov-14 07:55:04

Yes omelettes are great

Sometime snacks food. Chopped fruit, cheese, wheaten bread

mumofboyo Sun 16-Nov-14 15:49:49

I admit to being very lazy and using Asda children's ready meals, Young's fish pies, jacket potatoes and baked beans.
I also give my dc (3&2) sandwiches (cheese, jam, fishfinger, cheese&onion, banana), fish fillets with sweet potato chips (frozen from Tesco), omelettes and grill-ups (1-egg omelettes, hash browns, beans, half a sausage, tomatoes and mushrooms).
We use the slow cooker quite regularly - they like chilli, curry, Bolognese and stews/casseroles.

fertilityFTW Sun 16-Nov-14 16:02:10

For breakfast I divide one egg into two bowls - add parsley/cheese (or even leftover chicken, whatever is handy) to one and some flour/milk/banana/cinnamon to the other - and voila - omelette with a pancake dessert.

Chipandspuds Sun 16-Nov-14 16:54:14

I tend to cook extra in the evenings so they're is always something in the freezer for DS.

Favourites are chilli con carne & rice, spaghetti bolognese, sausages and mashed potato, pasta of any description.

Quick things to cook are ommelettes, or jacket potato and baked beans if I'm in a rush and haven't been organised!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now