Talk

Advanced search

What age was your DC when you stopped using monitors at bedtime?

(67 Posts)
Griffomais Fri 14-Nov-14 19:47:21

Any advice would be appreciated.x

Chottie Fri 14-Nov-14 19:48:23

I never used monitors as I lived in a small house when DC were young.

whereisvioleta Fri 14-Nov-14 19:51:13

following with interest as have been wondering the same myself!

Griffomais Fri 14-Nov-14 19:53:13

Thanks chottie our upstairs is very open plan and any noise carries whether it to our bedroom or lounge so I was thinking I don't really need to use them anymore.

Griffomais Fri 14-Nov-14 19:53:59

Hi where what age is your DC?

callamia Fri 14-Nov-14 19:54:57

We've never used a monitor either - the bedrooms are just across the landing.

whereisvioleta Fri 14-Nov-14 19:54:59

Only just one so I'm assuming we'll use a monitor for a fair while yet...

Griffomais Fri 14-Nov-14 19:59:21

My DD is one - a terrific sleeper, seldom restless and sleeps 12/13 hours a night. I can hear her if she cries or wakes whether I'm in bed or in the lounge. So I'm thinking about stopping the monitor. Just can't figure out if I'm being irresponsible or not?

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 14-Nov-14 19:59:42

Still do at almost 4. blush

However, when she is sick or fussy, it's really useful. If noise carries, why would you?

Iggly Fri 14-Nov-14 20:00:38

We still use one for our 5&2 year old (they share). But we live in a Victorian house with thick walls so cannot hear them when they cry out e.g. nightmares, toilet trips, sickness etc.

No idea when we will stop!

cantmakecarrotcake Fri 14-Nov-14 21:05:22

Ours broke when DD was almost 3. We couldn't bring ourselves to get a new one for a 3 yo.

By this point she was in a bed and could communicate well enough to get our attention if she needed us.

JuniperTisane Fri 14-Nov-14 21:08:20

DH insists on still using one each for DSes 4 and nearly 2. I would happily ditch them now but he's a very cautious person when it comes to the children.

Roomba Fri 14-Nov-14 21:11:20

DS1 - about 2.5 I think, due to victorian house and thick walls.

DS2 (same house) - never needed to use one at all grin. He is LOUD! I bought one which went faulty after a few days and just returned it for a refund. It's not like he allowed me to put him down let alone leave the room for a good few months...

Roomba Fri 14-Nov-14 21:13:28

I've just remembered that DS1 must have been about 3 actually, because it came in very handy when our bedroom door handle came off leaving us trapped in the room... it was one of those with a two way function, so I just had to shout DS1 through it until he woke up and could get out of bed to rescue us!

RabbitSaysWoof Fri 14-Nov-14 21:14:36

I didn't use one either.

Figster Fri 14-Nov-14 21:15:08

It was probably around 1 he was sleeping through anyway and is. Just across the hall anyway.

TheGonnagle Fri 14-Nov-14 21:15:28

Never had one. Small house, no need.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Sat 15-Nov-14 10:19:26

DS is 2.5yrs plan to use it for a while yet but we live in a 3storey house, so in an evening with him on top floor we wouldnt stand a chance of hearing him, plus noise doesn't travel well in this house so even when we go to bed I keep the monitor on so we can definitely hear him. He is moving down to middle floor soon (so that when dc2 comes he won't feel like he's being kicked out of his room), so I want to be able to check on him easily and see (video monitor) that he's still in his room not off playing in the bathroom or laundry room on that floor.

OhBuggeringBollocks Sat 15-Nov-14 10:20:54

DD1 about 18 months
DD2 about 12 months until it broke
DS1 never got round to buying one blush

Passmethecrisps Sat 15-Nov-14 10:21:09

We do when we are downstairs and she is asleep but don't when we go to bed as the rooms are next door.

She is 2 yo

ChoccyJules Sat 15-Nov-14 10:24:48

DD moved into her own room aged three months as no-one was getting any sleep, we used the monitor for about a week and stopped, as no-one was getting any sleep!
After that we only used it when staying at family whose houses were bigger than ours so we could hear her during the evening while we were downstairs.

olivesnutsandcheese Sat 15-Nov-14 13:52:04

We stopped using the audio monitor a while ago - but we love the IP camera above DS's bed. We can watch him via our mobiles via an app and it has been the best 'baby' thing we bought. I doubt we'll stop using any time soon. DS is now 2.3 and generally a little tearaway so it's given us great peace of mind.

Thurlow Sat 15-Nov-14 14:03:55

Nearly 3 and we still use it between when we put her to bed and when we go to bed. We'd never hear her with the doors shut and the telly on otherwise. Don't have it on at night though.

Diryan Sun 16-Nov-14 10:30:19

But if you can hear her if she wakes anyway, why would you have a monitor? Is it one of those breathing sensor ones?

AhhhhhhryaOfGhostHouseSnark Sun 16-Nov-14 10:47:11

We used one for a couple of days, then figured out we could hear them overt he monitor anyway, so didn't see the point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now