Talk

Advanced search

Parent/Teacher conference today. I need your tips.

(5 Posts)
TheNewWitchOfSWL Wed 12-Nov-14 21:41:13

So basically DD 7 is a lovely girl (aren't they all?) who is interested enough and likes to participate in the classroom. The teacher she is doing well despite her dyslexia but she is still behind in literacy (spelling and reading) and numeracy (can't understand simple concepts like number bonds).

She reads well but doesn't like reading for pleasure and needs to improve on speed and expression (my opinion). She loves writing and has good handwriting however has very poor memory to learn the spellings...she improved a lot since Y1 and Y2 but will still spell things like blew instead of blue and etc.

So I agreed with the teacher for more practice at home and she suggested online websites... I have always been reluctant with games, I don't want her to be addicted (yes maybe it is silly) but she already doesn't like reading or board games, so if I let her just play on electronic games she will maybe stop writing and making art which she is really good at....anyway, I get this is how children learn now a days...the teacher said they don't use games at school so 20 minutes a day of games at home wouldn't hurt...
I remember I tried maths factor last year but my broadband is not good enough for it, the videos weren't running. I am changing broadband so maybe I will give it another go.

Another problem that makes the teacher more disappointed then her learning is talking too much. At her table and on the carpet. I had no idea DD was talking too much, and I spoke to her today and said that if I hear more complaints about her talking I will cancel her extra curricular activities which are many.

Any more tips to improve her learning and behaviour?

TheNewWitchOfSWL Wed 12-Nov-14 23:10:41

up

TheNewWitchOfSWL Thu 13-Nov-14 11:07:36

I guess this is a boring subject.

makemineapinot Thu 13-Nov-14 19:23:08

I would follow the advice from the teacher and try the different games inline - there are some great ones and 20 mins a day would help her. I would also refrain from punishing her again at home for talking - it will probably already have been dealt with at school with whatever consequences your dd's school has in place. Not a great crime to get punished twice fir! You could simply tell her it upsets you or makes you sad, but in wouldn't do more than that as you don't want to demoralise her and make school a bad thing especially if she finds it tricky already. If the teacher says she is doing well believe her!! You could also read books with/to her and let her enjoy stories rather than reading being stressful. Hope that helps! I teach 6 year olds and dd is dyslexic.

TheNewWitchOfSWL Thu 13-Nov-14 19:39:26

Oh yes I read to her (almost) every night.
Games suggestions appreciated.
Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now