Talk

Advanced search

Birds & Bees

(5 Posts)
mrsfleming2be Wed 12-Nov-14 14:43:36

Help!

My 8 year old keeps asking questions about sex! He says his friends talk about it at school (cant believe it.... I thought this topic was a few years off)

So anyway I tried to brush it aside and told him it was something he shouldnt really talk about because he is too young - so last night he pipes up with that he knows what "gay" means and I asked him what it meant and he said that a boy kisses a boy and has sex with him?? I then asked him what sex was and he proceeded to pretend to gyrate up and down (god help me with this one)

So I told him I would talk to him about it today as I wanted to discuss with my husband as he wasnt home till late last night so help me fellow mumsnetters how do I deal with this one.

I knew a conversation would have to come up about men living with men soon as our nephew is gay and lives with his partner and I can see my sons mind going into overdrive about it!

Poledra Wed 12-Nov-14 14:47:52

OK, at 8 years old I would think he is at a good age to learn sensibly about sex from his parents. I've used this book with two DCs at about his age. It's age-appropriate and helps start the conversation off between him and you.

In all honesty, I'm surprised you've got this stage without some questions already!

Bedsheets4knickers Wed 12-Nov-14 18:55:03

Lol the gyrating made me chuckle , I'm not smug by the way , I've got it all to come x

SummerVacation Wed 19-Nov-14 14:45:25

I don't envy you but it's perfectly normal for these questions to be asked.

My daughter is 7 and already has a curiosity. She's told me that she's seen the thingy of a boy at school and she talks about different things which I'd rather not hear or deal with. Children are just sponges, they hear things from different sources and then talk to their friends so it's better to just ensure your child can talk to you and try to give good guidance.

Will be difficult discussing the whole gay thing. Good luck with it.

Givemecaffeine21 Wed 19-Nov-14 15:28:36

I remember asking questions at this age - sex education was in year 4 I think so age 8/9....I didn't understand it, but everyone else was acting like they knew all about it....and I bet they were going home asking questions too! Still scarred for life after that 1970s sex education video with the overly hairy naturist family! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now