Talk

Advanced search

How do you effectively handle rudeness towards you?

(5 Posts)
QTPie Mon 10-Nov-14 20:50:48

I am not having to handle this yet (DS is 4), but have been getting to know my new neighbours and am rather shocked at their 8 year old boy's rudeness towards his mum. At first I put it down to tiredness, but he seems like it every time I see him. She pretty much ignores it.

Two thoughts are running through my mind: will DS naturally go through a "phase" of this and/or will he pick it up from the neighbour (DS naturally idolises older boys).

So I am looking for advice when (I am a pessimist) it does turn up?

attheendoftheday Mon 17-Nov-14 09:35:22

I am no parenting paragon, I vary in my reaction by situation. Sometimes I point it out e.g. It hurts my feelings what you say... Sometimes I ignore the content and name their emotion e.g. It sounds as though you're feeling angry, is that right? Sometimes I stick with saying in our family we speak kindly to each other. I think a lot of it comes down to modelling too.

3catsnokids Tue 18-Nov-14 10:58:03

If my foster children ever try to speak to me in a rude manner I just say in a stern voice, 'Don't talk to me like that!' and that tends to nip it in the bud. I know a couple of children in our extended family who speak to their parents with an 'attitude' constantly, and they're never pulled up on it! I don't know how the parents can stand it but I think they've stopped noticing.

I think children soon learn what their parents will put up with, and they'll know that even if another child gets away with something it doesn't mean that they will!

TheCowThatLaughs Tue 18-Nov-14 11:01:29

I'm glad you posted this op, I have been dealing with it not very consistently really (and by shouting which doesn't help at all blush) and I do need to develop new strategies. Thanks attheendoftheday I think I'll try some of those.

Noellefielding Wed 19-Nov-14 11:00:51

My 2 dc are so rude to me and I have let it go a bit and now am finding it hard to pull back.
I guess they need consequences but the consequences are so hard to see through aren't they?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now