Talk

Advanced search

When to start saying 'no'?

(7 Posts)
Imeg Mon 10-Nov-14 10:33:43

I just wondered when it's reasonable to start saying 'no' to certain undesirable behaviours eg pulling glasses off, biting, and when we need to be careful not to smile/laugh at things we don't want to encourage?
Baby is 8 months.

HolgerDanske Mon 10-Nov-14 10:35:35

Just about now smile

ByTheWishingWell Mon 10-Nov-14 10:44:05

I would start now, but don't expect your baby to understand/ take notice straight away. We tend to save 'no' just for the bad stuff- biting, hitting, reaching for hot drinks. With things like pulling glasses off, chewing on shoes, etc. we would just distract, otherwise it would feel like we were saying no all the time, and it might lose all meaning!

minipie Mon 10-Nov-14 11:41:10

Agree with WishingWell, start now but save it for the biggies.

Two things 1) suggest you always say no in conjunction with removing the dangerous item etc. They won't understand no on its own but this way they might gradually get the idea of what it means.

2) I found specific instructions eg "not hitting, be gentle" much more effective than just "no" - though this was at an older age.

HappyAsASandboy Mon 10-Nov-14 11:46:30

I agree with trying to save the word 'No' for important things, but it's never too early to start explaining why not to do stuff.

'Oops, poor granny can't see without her glasses'

'Ow! My arm hurts when you bite it [sad face]'

Said in conjunction with moving away/taking item back etc

UngratefulMoo Mon 10-Nov-14 20:10:40

I've been saying 'no' since DD was younger than that, but like PP's, I try and save it for stuff that is dirty / dangerous. I didn't expect her to understand it, but how would she learn if I didn't start somewhere? She understands well enough now (14 months) but sometimes chooses to ignore me (or just throws a mini-tantrum)!

Imeg Mon 10-Nov-14 20:39:59

Hmm, thanks everyone, will have to think what is important enough to justify it. I do already tell him why not to do things but I don't think it's accompanied by enough change in tone to catch his attention as I haven't really expected him to be taking it in.

Now that I think about it, he has heard me firmly saying 'no' to the cat from time to time when the cat has climbed on the table or similar - do I need to find a different 'no' or will he know when I am aiming it at him rather than the cat? Sorry if that's a really stupid question!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now