Talk

Advanced search

Putting a cot under a high shelf?

(11 Posts)
Anticyclone Sun 09-Nov-14 21:44:45

Is this a big no no? Or is it fine?

Something about it just feels wrong. It feels like something might fall off onto DC (unlikely) or the shelf might collapse! (very unlikely!)

It's the most logical place in the room for the cot to be, so am I being over dramatic, or should we take the shelf down ASAP? confused

EmbarrassedPossessed Sun 09-Nov-14 21:50:06

I personally would take the shelf down, having had a shelf unexpectedly fall down on me whilst sat at my desk at work. It's not worth the (very very small) worry IMO, if you can take it down.

BringYourOwnSnowman Sun 09-Nov-14 21:51:11

Personally I hate sleeping under a shelf or such like so I would take it down.

Is it at such a height that you may knock your head/baby's head when picking out of cot? (I did once do this to baby in cot with a sloped ceiling above)

BertieBotts Sun 09-Nov-14 21:52:39

I think it's fine is the shelf is secure.

It's advised against of course if you live in earthquake territory but in the UK no I wouldn't think it would be an issue.

You could always not put anything on the shelf if you're worried.

Muchtoomuchtodo Sun 09-Nov-14 21:54:00

I'd relocate the shelf.

butterfliesinmytummy Sun 09-Nov-14 22:05:26

It's very bad fung shuei to locate a bed under a beam or shelf .... Move the shelf.

Anticyclone Sun 09-Nov-14 22:13:36

The shelf is just above head height so no risk of banging head. I put it up myself with ridiculously big screws and deep rawl plugs - and it has four supports, so eight screws in the wall! It's not going anywhere but I still can't shake the feeling that it's tempting fate...

BringYourOwnSnowman Sun 09-Nov-14 22:19:33

when you lift baby out you may lift higher than your head height (or is that just me!)

if you are confident it won't fall leave it and just don't put anything on.

i do think it is a bit oppressive sleeping under something like that!!

BertieBotts Sun 09-Nov-14 22:26:07

It's fine confused I think you're all being strange grin

Iggi999 Sun 09-Nov-14 22:41:54

We had a shelf collapse back when out nursery was still a spare room, this taught me that books can be extremely heavy! There was a shelf over ds's cot but I have always kept the cuddly toys on it only.

Sleepyhoglet Mon 10-Nov-14 00:03:04

She might stand up in the cot and fiddle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now