Talk

Advanced search

Dropped baby out of car seat

(35 Posts)
Pooisa Sun 09-Nov-14 04:34:50

I'm new to the community but desperately need some reassurance that I am not alone and not the worlds worst mother!

Whilst at the hairdressers I unstrapped baby from car seat to take their coat off. I then started talking to the hairdresser, got distracted, picked up the car seat completely forgetting that I'd not strapped baby in and out he fell onto the wooden floor.

Cue an ambulance ride to A&E and one very distraught Mum.

LO has a small bruise on his head and has been bright and happy since but I feel absolutely terrible.

Please tell me I'm not the only one to have done something like this!

PinkLemons Sun 09-Nov-14 04:52:23

I've hit DD in the head with a car door THREE times! You'd have thought we'd learn after the first time! DH cut her finger when cutting her nails the first time. I slipped on a wooden floor and grabbed the first thing to stop myself falling - DD's pony tail...

We've all done it. Don't beat yourself up about it! smile

JellyMould Sun 09-Nov-14 05:19:13

I've done similar - left DS in car seat not strapped in on a table and he managed to rock himself out and fall head first on the floor. I felt awful!

velocity1 Sun 09-Nov-14 05:30:54

I dropped ds1 out of his moses basket when he was very new, his sister bounced him out of his bouncy chair a few weeks later too. 20 years on I still feel guilty about it, but they laugh about it, which helps.

SavoyCabbage Sun 09-Nov-14 06:04:01

My best friend carried her push chair up five stone stairs to the front door, turned to unlock it and the pushchair went down the stairs AND she hadn't strapped him in properly so he bounced out.

It was ten years ago and she still talks about it.

bananapickle84 Sun 09-Nov-14 08:23:12

My DH hadn't realised our DD had learnt to roll and turned away from her when changing her on top of a 4 drawer unit. She rolled off and to make it worse my DH tried to catch her on the way down and ended up slamming her head into the unit. She's fine and there have been many more incidents of her falling on her head, charging into sharp edges, ending up at A&E for various things. She's 3.5 yrs old so it happens at every stage.
Hope you have got over the shock as it really isn't nice going through it.

TheScenicRoute Sun 09-Nov-14 09:21:00

I'm a mum to be so no experience of this yet. I feel for you, it wouldn't have been so emotionally traumatic if you didn't have a hairdressers full of spectators with you at the same time, that must have contributed to the stress? On the plus side at least you had witnesses that it was just a an awful accident. (((Hugs)))

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 09-Nov-14 09:25:31

I can sympathise OP my dd (22 months) had a accident going over her scooter into the cabinet in our living room the other day. I'm still replaying it over in my mind its awful isnt sad but like others have said these things happen so try not to feel too bad. Main thing is they are ok now

callamia Sun 09-Nov-14 09:26:49

My baby has managed to fling himself or fall of the bed about four times during his first year. He's fine - and he's learned to climb down safely now.

readyforno2 Sun 09-Nov-14 09:29:07

I remember writing a very similar post not that long ago, it was Easter Monday, so ds2 was about 7-8months old. I tripped off a pavement and dropped him. He bounced.
He is absolutely fine now at almost 2 1/2.
I know it's hard but please try not to beat yourself up thanks

ElphabaTheGreen Sun 09-Nov-14 09:30:47

I was leaving my mum's and closing her front door. The door got stuck on something so I pulled harder. It wasn't until DS1 started screaming that I realised that the 'something' was his fingers. The nurse who reviewed the x-ray said they weren't broken but a recall letter from a radiologist a few days later indicated they were. If it's the worst thing I ever do to him I'll be very happy. smile

FTRsGotAShinyNewNN Sun 09-Nov-14 09:35:16

First time we cut DSs fingernails we nearly chopped the top of his thumb off with baby nail clippers, DS wailed, I wailed, DH was totally calm hmm
Also on first holiday abroad when DS was 7/8 months old he fell head first off the bed, I was beside myself worrying about concussion from the stone floor (bed was only about a foot off the floor) but it turned out he'd landed on DHs leather flip flop, he had a really obvious crescent shaped bruise in the middle of his forehead for the rest of the holiday blush
Don't worry too much it clearly happens to us all smile

HSMMaCM Sun 09-Nov-14 09:47:28

DD was hanging upside down on a trapeze swing when she was about 4. I tickled her and she fell straight on her head. I thought she'd broken her neck! She was fine ... I wasn't.

bearwithspecs Sun 09-Nov-14 09:57:27

It happens to the best of us grin

Nocturne123 Sun 09-Nov-14 10:01:15

My df dropped my newborn ds out of his Moses basket onto tiles shock lucky he's a doctor and all was fine .

I was chasing dd round the house recently and she ran straight into a wall confused.. Huge swelling and black bruise

Pooisa Sun 09-Nov-14 11:23:25

Thanks for your reassurance! I think being there hairdressers was a blessing in disguise because everyone rallied round and helped to calm him and me down.

It's nice to know I'm not alone. I've never felt so guilty in all my life!

Little guy is only 2 months old. sad

Acorncat Mon 10-Nov-14 06:50:26

Mine rolled off of the sofa at 5 weeks (weird given that he can't roll yet!) so I can sympathise - it feels awful! Explaining to a&e is not fun, though at least they're also reassuring that it happens all the time.

HamishBamish Mon 10-Nov-14 10:32:52

Mine rolled of our bed not once, but twice! I can't remember exactly how old he was, but it must have been relatively young as he had only just started rolling.

You are definitely not alone OP! Most of us have done idiotic things at some point or another. I put DS's car seat in the car without strapping it in once. It was my MIL's car and I was used to having a car seat base in our car. Thankfully we didn't have an accident.

Give it a few years and you'll be giving your reassurance on Mumsnet to some poor mum who has done similar!

Equimum Mon 10-Nov-14 13:09:03

We really have all done it.

Like Hamish, when DS was about 9 months old I put his car seat in the car, ran up the stairs to the shut our front door and completely forgot to secure the car seat. Merrily drove up our road, the by going round the roundabout at the top there was an almighty thud followed by loud screaming. The car seat had fallen over and shit across the backseat, hitting the other back door. I felt absolutely awful, but after a quick cuddle, DS was absolutely fine.

Funnily enough, we were on our way to have some professional photos taken. I look really anxious in all if then, while DS is beaming away. Every time I look at the photo on our lung room wall I think about that day!

(In his 2 short years, DS has also rolled off our bed, come head-first of the sofa and had his head bounced into a door frame, but they were all DH's responsibility! - and DS is still a right, happy little boy).

icanhaveadarksideifyouwantmeto Mon 10-Nov-14 13:10:26

when my DD was TWO DAYS old, i bashed her face putting her back in the incubator and gave her a black eye!

Please dont worry, you did not do it on purpose!

LittleBearPad Mon 10-Nov-14 13:11:30

Tripped and smacked DD's head onto a door frame at 6 weeks old. She's fallen down the stairs three times in the subsequent 2 and 1/2 years. It happens. Give yourself a break and try not to beat yourself up.

suspiciousandsad Mon 10-Nov-14 13:13:54

Oh I did EXACTLY the same with DS2. Was in bits!

He's now a handsome, clever, charming, sporty, hollow-legged 12 year old. He's really funny and quite potty (which I tell him comes from when I dropped him as a baby...!!!)

fuckwitteryhasform Mon 10-Nov-14 13:17:07

I forgot to strap the car seat in the car, had to brake suddenly, glanced in rear view mirror to find car seat no longer visible on back seat, the car seat was upside down in the rear footwell. She slept through it but I had a worrying half hour when I couldn't decide if she was still asleep or knocked unconscious!!

fuckwitteryhasform Mon 10-Nov-14 13:18:39

Oh and also shut front door on my PFB's fingers, she had to have the damaged nails removed under GA.

LittleMissRayofHope Mon 10-Nov-14 20:00:34

Super exhausted from a velcro feeder one night I lay down to feed 6 month old dd. She finished her feed and I fell asleep she then wriggled her way off the bed head first. She's now 2.3 and the brightest kid in her nursery. (They put her with the 3 year olds as she can keep up!)

My friend was using her carrier for the first time with her 4 month dd and just plain dropped her. Face down. On carpet. She was fine.

The other week my dd was running, stumbled and I had a split second decision to make: let her fall and she would have hit her face on a woodern door frame. Or reach out my hand and deflect her to the side... I essentially smacked her in the face. It worked, broken face avoided. But she was so distraught that 'mummy hit me' and cried for ages and hid from me. I felt terrible!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now