Talk

Advanced search

2.5 yr old falling alot

(12 Posts)
LittlePink Fri 07-Nov-14 15:39:44

Can you tell me if your 2.5 year old falls a lot as Im not sure if its normal the amount of times DD falls. She walks normally but as soon as she ups the pace to a fast walk or run she falls flat on her face. We went to a park with 2 other kids her age and they didn't fall over once but my DD fell about 20 times. She had wellies on but she falls in her normal shoes too. On an outing to a garden centre this week she fell several times and the floor wasn't slippy or uneven. She has the right sized shoes/wellies.

Im not sure if I should take her to the doctors or whether its normal for a child this age to fall so much?

Seeline Fri 07-Nov-14 15:42:32

HAs she always fallen over a lot? I used to find one of my DCs fell over a lot if he had a sudden growth spurt. I think he needed to adjust to a new centre of gravity or something grin Also if they went up a shoe size, it took a while to get used to bigger feet.

LittlePink Fri 07-Nov-14 15:49:42

She has always fallen quite a bit but just put it down to being little and getting used to walking/ running. It was just when I saw her 2 little friends so steady on their feet recently I started to think she falls such a lot perhaps it's not normal for a child this age. As a younger toddler yes but now she's getting bigger I would have expected her to be more steady I think but she's my first so I don't really know!

mama1nenene Fri 07-Nov-14 15:50:40

my son falls quite bit...trips over his own feet due to not lifting his feet. he had few falls recently which i took him to th gp to check him over. the gp decided to check for inner ear problems which could be causing a bit of a balance issue...he did find an excess of catarr which he said will clear up as he gets older but it is likley to be contributing to balance. I would get you dc checked out...:-)

mama1nenene Fri 07-Nov-14 15:51:38

i should have said my dc is 18 months...he is fine otherwise and other than a little extra supervision to ensure he is not hurting himself seriously if he falls he is good to go. :-)

OfficeNewGirl Fri 07-Nov-14 18:11:27

It could be either fallen arches (flat feet) or something to do with her ears which is how you balance.

I have fallen arches and was always falling as a child. I was worried about dds feet recently so took her to the GP and the first thing they asked was does she fall over alot. She doesnt, but she still has flat feet. However there is no treatment in children with flat feet now unless its causing them problems and falling over alot would be one of them.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 07-Nov-14 18:13:51

Dd falls over alot. You can be walking along one minute and she's hit the floor the next.

She's good at climbing though confused

I did take her to drs as he foot turns in but no physio required.

I do not I've though she's very flat footed. Doesn't walk she kind of stomps along

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 07-Nov-14 18:14:00

Notice

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 07-Nov-14 18:19:38

She's nearly four now but has been clumsy since she was walking. .I expected her to grow out of it

oddsocksmostly Mon 10-Nov-14 17:47:37

Toddlers do fall over, but if it is a lot more than her peers it would be an idea to get it checked out by a physio, there may be reasons for it.

rootypig Mon 10-Nov-14 17:48:27

Are her shoes soft and properly fitted?

PoppyWearer Mon 10-Nov-14 17:50:17

Have a read up on hypermobile joints and see if that rings any bells.

Could be just a growth spurt though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now