Advanced search

Baby sitters

(9 Posts)
Bedsheets4knickers Thu 06-Nov-14 18:06:24

Can I ask if:
You use them,
How you went about finding one,
What age were your children,
Basically have no family near by . My children are 4 and 2, we have no social life togther and it's starting to effect relationship. Would love to get out once a week , Saturday night just local pub meal and drink after.
Shouod I give it another couple of years??

wheresthelight Thu 06-Nov-14 20:05:29

I use family or friends but try childcare.Co.UK or contact your local nursery as they might be able to Help.

another option would be to contact your local college, they might have childcare students looking for work or if you are in a university town then see if they do a teaching course as they may be interested

Thurlow Thu 06-Nov-14 21:15:58

Do you know what kind of babysitter you are after?

If it is someone with qualifications who can put the kids to bed, then childcare.co.uk is probably your friend. You can make an ad for free and then babysitters contact you, and you make a private agreement so you don't pay booking fees etc.

If it is someone to sit in the house once you've put your kids to bed, maybe ask neighbours if they know any older teenagers who might be able and willing to sit, or know nursery or CM assistants looking for extra work.

WiggleGinger Thu 06-Nov-14 21:26:37

Agree with other posters.

We have used staff from dd nursery

Also used a close friends older daughter (20)

We have also done baby sitting swaps with other mums ( whom I trust & know reasonably well) they sit for me I sit for them. You'll be surprised how many parents are keen to do this as it saves a fortune!!!

Bedsheets4knickers Thu 06-Nov-14 22:04:11

Yes it would be for once kids have gone bed, 4 hours max . I suppose I could ask nursey but not sure il like the staff seeing me come home merry . Il have a look around . Feel really nervous about it.

Metalhead Fri 07-Nov-14 10:25:11

We have also used a lady from nursery a few times, first time DD was probably around 3. (The staff weren't supposed to do private babysitting but everyone did it anyway!) We wouldn't have felt comfortable leaving her with an agency sitter that she didn't know, and the parent swap thing never worked out for some reason.

chocolatesolveseverything Fri 07-Nov-14 15:00:36

We use sitters.co.uk which is working really well for us.

Quitelikely Fri 07-Nov-14 15:03:27

We use sitters too. They are great. Also check gumtree for babysitters.

Sitters got me someone at an hours notice. So if you fancy surprising your dh tonight you could book now!

I also make sure my dc are tucked up and sleeping before I go out.

Thurlow Fri 07-Nov-14 15:48:55

If you're feeling a bit nervous about it them it is probably worth paying the extra money for a qualified professional to come. As your kids get older and you get happier leaving them then teenagers are wonderfully cheap babysitters, but I think you need to feel a bit more confident your children will sleep through and so the babysitter is just there for a "what if".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now