Talk

Advanced search

Routine Advice

(18 Posts)
Mmolly2013 Wed 05-Nov-14 21:51:42

I was talking to a mum today as we were discussing baby classes in our area. She mentioned that she couldnt go to a certain class as it was during the babys feeding time.

Now what got me is my baby is 10 weeks ok we had the same nighttime routine but during the day we dont have a strict feeding and nap schedule I just let the baby do what they want, although she has sorted got herself into a similar pattern. But i mean if a class was on i would just do a top up feed beforehand.

Is this a big deal do you think.

steppemum Wed 05-Nov-14 22:09:24

I think it depends on the baby.

ds was like clockwork, he fed every 3 hours during the day. You couldn't feed him 'early' and as soon as the clock hit 3 hours he started crying for food. So, no, I would not have been able to go to a class.

dd1 was much more laid back, she fed when she was hungry, there was a pattern, but it wasn't so set. However, I couldn't have given her a top up feed either, she wasn't interested until she wanted a full feed, and then I could put her off for a while, maybe 20 minutes, but not more.

Both were breast fed on demand, and I didn't impose the routine, it was their own.

dodi1978 Wed 05-Nov-14 22:19:42

Don't worry - I also let DS take the lead in sorting out his own routine and it worked great for us - I wasn't constrained in my activities and he was a happy, content boy and an excellent sleeper, both day and night. Doing it that way was the major reason that I enjoyed my maternity leave so much!!!

I remember that my baby yoga class was at 10, which was at his normal feeding time. I did the same as you and tried a top up feed before hand. Sometimes he would take and then be happy (or sleeping) through the class, sometimes he wouldn't and I would have to feed anyway, but I never felt that I couldn't do anything because of a routine that I imposed.

I may now be slaughtered, but one girl from my NCT group who had a very strict routine came out with the wonderful sentence "And he slept through his play time" when talking about her 6 week old baby. I had to grin a little bit about that :--))

dodi1978 Wed 05-Nov-14 22:20:54

In other words, if YOUR baby is happy, keep on doing what you are doing!

Gingerandcocoa Wed 05-Nov-14 22:22:50

I do avoid doing things at certain times but only because I know that my DS needs 4 hours of napping during daytime and that he can't go more than 2 hours in between naps.

Having said that he only got into this routine when he was over 14 weeks old and started taking more formula and less breast milk....

pookamoo Wed 05-Nov-14 22:24:53

In my experience, people just fed their babies during the class if they needed it?

NeedaDiscoNap Wed 05-Nov-14 22:29:21

My baby needs a lot of sleep, similar to Ginger, and some of the classes I want to take her to are at times when she's usually napping.

I think it completely depends on your baby. Mine is fed three hourly but is happy to have an early or late feed and rarely cries - but mess with her naps... grin

Be guided by your baby; maybe take him/her to a class or two to try it out and see how they get on?

QTPie Wed 05-Nov-14 22:49:30

Different ways to parent?

DS was on a feeding schedule after 5 weeks: he was getting overtired and a regular bath/bed time and regular feeds overcame that. The feed times were set by him - I just encouraged patterns. Naps took a LOT longer to sort out (6 months). Both DS and I thrived on his regular routine. DS dropped to one night feed at 5 weeks (sleeping 9 until 4 and then until about 6/6.30) and then slept through (9 until 6/6.30) from 12 weeks. I put that down to pro-active day time feeding.

Ok I could have fed DS at a class, but I exclusively BF and just wouldn't have felt "physically comfortable" (found it difficult to get comfortable). Also DS would normally feed for a good 30+ minutes then and wouldn't want to have spent most of the class feeding...

DS did do classes from 14 weeks. (Waterbabies and Baby Sensory) and I did tweak feeds a little, but I could understand where another (new) mum is coming from if they didn't want to.

Mmolly2013 Thu 06-Nov-14 03:35:24

Oh thats greats i think its right for us at the moment. He very rarely crys and is always happy and smiling so it obviously works. i put my baby to bed around 8 and he always wakes up 7,30/8 so the first feed is always around the same time, and the baby feeds like clockwork unless i do a top up feed but the baby mostly goes 4

Mmolly2013 Thu 06-Nov-14 03:37:30

also its reallt hard to regulate maps. how do yous all do it

Mmolly2013 Thu 06-Nov-14 03:37:47

naps

SurfsUp1 Thu 06-Nov-14 07:08:28

I found setting and keeping to a daytime routine was really helpful in getting DSs to sleep through the night, but I wasn't toooo regimented about it. Other people prefer to just go with the flow. Swings and roundabouts.

On regulating naps I just put DS down at the same time every day (regardless of where we were) and got him up at the same time. Easy.

TarkaTheOtter Thu 06-Nov-14 09:05:13

Both of mine fell into a routine when they dropped down to two naps once crawling. Before that they would just eat and sleep when tired and hungry. One of my close friends followed GF routine from 6 weeks, but was happy to feed during classes or adjust naps by 30mins or so to fit them in. It's horses for courses I think.

WishUponAStar88 Thu 06-Nov-14 09:13:24

My little one is only 5 weeks old but it's the same here OP. Good night time routine - bath/ feed/ bed 7-8, feeds overnight at midnight, 4, 6.30-7. But no routine at all in the day as yet! Bf on demand and she is different every day in terms of her feeding pattern.

Littlef00t Thu 06-Nov-14 10:13:42

I don't deliberately sign oh to classes if they clashes with likely nap time, but feeding time I would just do top up. I don't see the point in trying to do a class with an overtired baby and waking up from a short nap would just set us up for disaster later in the day.

Gingerandcocoa Thu 06-Nov-14 13:20:16

About naps... I kind of wrote down what I felt would be a "good" day, ie DS had about 4 hours of naps, 2 hours in between naps, and wouldn't nap after 5pm. So I worked out this routine:
7am - wake up
9-11am - nap
1-2.30pm - nap
4.30-5pm catnap
7-7.30pm bedtime

Now, in the beginning there was NO WAY he would nap for 2 hours straight. After 30-40 minutes he would wake up, i'd have to rush to his bedroom and shush him back to sleep. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. But then it started getting a lot easier, and now 90% of the time he manages a 2 hour nap in the morning and another long-ish nap either at lunchtime or as a 3rd nap.

But my days are SO much better. I've got plenty of time to cook, tidy up the house, go on Mumsnet and he is never overtired (unless he misses a nap sad).

It's really working out well for us, I'm dreading when he wants to drop a nap.......

Lunaberry Thu 06-Nov-14 16:37:26

Gingerandcocoa can I ask how old your little one was when you started this?
My DD is 8 weeks and still very much led by her throughout the day but she really does fight naps and gets overtired do if love to work on this. Having said that she's great at night sleeps through from half 11 or 12 til about half 7-8 most nights so no complaints there! X

Gingerandcocoa Thu 06-Nov-14 22:00:40

Luna your DD's sleep is amazing!!! I could only wish mine would do those stretches! Well he does do it but starts at 7pm so I don't enjoy it as much smile

I started when he was about 14 weeks old I think. But having said that, I wish I had started sooner. I used the Baby Whisperer's PUPD technique and it really helped me. Apparently it works best with babies up to 4 months old.

(as a caveat my DS is now almost fully bottle fed so it does make it much easier to have a routine)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now