Talk

Advanced search

12A film :bringing a party of 10 year olds

(9 Posts)
Putty Wed 05-Nov-14 12:21:52

My soon to be 11 year old daughter has her heart set on bringing 10 of her friends to the latest Hunger Games movie for her birthday party. They have all read the books and as far as I know most have seen the previous films. I note that the film is 12A, which apparently means under 12s with an adult. I would have no probs bringing in my daughter on her own, but will I be allowed to take about 10 and 11 year olds in to see it, being the only adult?

MeridianB Wed 05-Nov-14 13:55:38

Wouldn't you need to check with the parents of each guest to check they were ok with it?

kiki0202 Wed 05-Nov-14 20:43:06

I think you can take them all phone the cinema and check maybe? I'm sure the OP will check with parents.

Putty Thu 06-Nov-14 14:28:40

Yes, I'll be running it by all the parents, don't worry. My daughter is actually the youngest, so (mistake in title of thread!!) they range from 11 to 13. Saying that, great as the books are, the whole premise of the series is pretty grim. (Children sent off to be murdered on a reality show, in case you haven't read the books/watched the movies!) But they have been reading it at school and most as far as I know have seen the other two in the series.

I have checked with the cinema and they said it means under 12s accompanied and it is no problem at all to bring them. I asked them about how scary it is and they said it was fine, but they did say that Transformers which is also 12A is a bit hardcore. (And the fellow I was speaking to on the phone sounded about 15 himself, so make of that what you will!!)

It is very hard to find uncontroversial movies for the tween age group isn't it?! The choice is either too babyish, or perceived to be too babyish, or too scary.

bolshieoldcow Thu 06-Nov-14 14:33:30

If you can hang on 'til Tuesday 11th, the BBFC will have produced their super-useful 'insight' guide, which should give you a good idea of what to expect. Some 12s are more 12 than others iyswim, and I usually like to know what sort of thing to expect.

Floggingmolly Thu 06-Nov-14 14:37:18

Dd did this last year for her 13th, so they were 12/13, and they all loved it, but it did seem a bit graphic to me... If the parents are ok with it I wouldn't worry.

MeridianB Thu 06-Nov-14 20:31:04

I totally agree, Putty, there seems to be a big gap for that age group.

I didn't mean to sound sniffy about checking with parents. I just know my DSD who is a sensitive 10 year old would be all brave about wanting to go with pals to fit in but would have nightmares for weeks after. She watched The Goonies recently, which I always thought was for her age group but we stopped as she was very scared. Maybe she is the exception though.

Putty Tue 11-Nov-14 08:55:06

Your post doesn't sound sniffy at all Meridian, you're quite right. Having read some of the reviews I am having second thoughts already. :sigh: Might have to have a rethink. There really is nothing out suitable for them at the moment.

Cakecrumbsinmybra Tue 11-Nov-14 13:45:43

I find commonsensemedia.org helpful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now