Talk

Advanced search

6 year old growing hair "down there"??

(11 Posts)
RGPargy Tue 04-Nov-14 21:51:24

Evening everyone!

I was at the pool with DD tonight and noticed there was something on her little "mini" (sorry, that's what we call it lol). Anyway, when we got home I noticed they were actually little pubic hairs! She had a couple of proper pubic hairs and a bit of fluffy fuzz. Is this normal for a nearly 7 year old or should I be concerned?

I can only remember starting my periods at 12, but can't remember what age I started sprouting!

TIA blush

gamerchick Tue 04-Nov-14 21:54:36

She's too young to be allowed to go through puberty. Visit your gp to test for precocious puberty they'll be able to delay it if it is.

Showy Tue 04-Nov-14 21:55:49

As gamer says, you will need to see a GP.

goshhhhhh Tue 04-Nov-14 22:03:57

Please try not to worry too much. Mine did too & then nothing happened. She is 12 & 1/2 now & only started her periods a month ago.
Go & see your GP. They should refer you to a pediatrician straight away. They will get her an xray - of hand I think - to check growth of bones & whether they are fusing (that is the biggest problem of early puberty - you finish growing early). If bone growth looks normal you won't even need a blood test.
If there is a problem they will talk to you about options. It is may be a weird blip like in our case. My daughter is tall so height in itself is not an indicator - my dh is 6 -4.
It all looked normal for us & the only advice the paediatrician gave us was to keep active & keep her slim (not like me!)

cheesecakemom Tue 04-Nov-14 22:07:56

I have relative who started her periods at 8-9 yrs old! Go to your doctor.

Shedding Tue 04-Nov-14 22:12:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shedding Tue 04-Nov-14 22:14:20

RGPargy Tue 04-Nov-14 23:28:59

She does get a little body odour but only after doing lots of exercise and skipping her bath (my fault, not hers!) but it's very faint. She doesn't have any breast tissue growing (that I've noticed anyway) but I think I will call the gp for some advice.

However the last thing I want to do is for the doctor to examine her or something and for her to feel she is not normal and be worried about sprouting hairs, especially if she doesn't need to be worried. Does that make sense?

Shedding Wed 05-Nov-14 12:56:09

RGPargy Wed 05-Nov-14 17:54:41

Yes I think I will call the doc for advice first before taking her along. Thank you for your helpful advice everyone smile

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 06-Nov-14 15:41:43

This can be completely normal so ring the GP but try not to panic. Many girls start their periods at 9 or 10 so their bodies change earlier smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now