Talk

Advanced search

So, night time toilet training...

(11 Posts)
wibblyjelly Sat 01-Nov-14 21:31:24

What are your methods, and how did you know they were ready?
DS is toilet trained during the day. I'm not sure when to start during the night. Some mornings his nappy is dry, other times it's so wet, he wets through. The last few mornings he's woken up in the early hours, asking for the toilet, but his nappy is still wet, so when he is deeply asleep, he is still going in the nappy. Any advice please?

Muchtoomuchtodo Sat 01-Nov-14 21:35:41

Wait until most morning nappies are dry.

Ds1 was 7.5 when he became dry at night, ds2 was 4.2.

WineWineWine Sat 01-Nov-14 21:42:39

Wait until he is dry most mornings. There is no such thing as night time training. You can't teach someone to do something in their sleep.

cheesecakemom Sun 02-Nov-14 09:08:44

I just started as soon as she was pretty much potty trained during the day. We bought the pampers mats to protect the mattress.

1. Bathroom at bed time at 7.30
2. Bathroom at midnight (just carry her to the bathroom - she was asleep but would respond if told to wee)
3. Bathroom when she woke up

We did this for 3-4 months maybe. Worked like a charm. I know you are only meant to do it for a short time but we were a bit scared to stop the midnight bathroom trip.

We also limited drinks in the evening. I need to mention that we had to stop using pull ups completely because when we did use them she would always use them.

Showy Sun 02-Nov-14 09:18:50

You can't train them to be dry at night. It's a hormonal thing. Either the hormone which makes them hold on is there or it isn't. No point lifting them half asleep. This isn't them being dry while asleep, it's you carrying them to the toilet. You reinforce the notion that if they half wake with a full bladder, they can just wee and it'll be fine. They need to know the sensation of waking with a full bladder means they need to get up and wee.

When morning nappies are dry most of the time, it's time.

FourthMary Sun 02-Nov-14 09:22:44

Ds had been dry in the day for a year before he started having dry nappies over night, after a few weeks of being dry every morning I left the nappy off. He was 3.9 and hasn't had one accident, I think you have to just wait it out for the signs that the child is ready, rather than actually train them.

elQuintoConyo Sun 02-Nov-14 09:25:52

Took DS 3 weeks to toilet train and he is also dry at night 9/10. He's 2.10. He did do a huge wee two nights ago that leaked - the first time in fpur months. He sometimes wakes in the night/in the morning crying as he has a full bladder.

Honestly, he still wears a nappy at night as we co-sleep, can't be arsed changing a big bedding set at 3am!

We are in no rush, he'll be ready when he is ready.

wibblyjelly Sun 02-Nov-14 10:31:22

Thanks all, I keep being told by family it's something I need to think about, but what you are saying makes sense. I'll leave it until he (or rather his night time nappies!) tell me he's ready grin

LittleLionMansMummy Sun 02-Nov-14 10:57:53

Good plan wibbly. I asked this question a few weeks ago and unsurprisingly had the same responses. Ds is 4 soon but nappy wet through every morning so just figure it'll happen at some point and i'm not stressing it. He's reliably dry during the day which is all I'm concerned about ahead of school next year.

hollie84 Sun 02-Nov-14 11:00:20

Once DS1 had been dry in the day for a week or so we just removed the night time nappies, put a bed mat on the bed and a potty in his room. A few nights of accidents and then it clicked.

Finola1step Sun 02-Nov-14 11:03:58

Being dry during the night is linked to hormones and maturity not training.

Keep them in night time nappies until you have a week of dry ones each morning.

But definitely focus on establishing good routines while awake (e.g limiting drinks after 6pm, wee before bath and then another one just before getting into bed).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now