Talk

Advanced search

Nearly 3yo is constantly on the move

(7 Posts)
ThinkIveBeenHacked Sat 01-Nov-14 19:00:42

She does not sit still. She does not walk anywhere - always skipping, loping, running, leaping everywhere.

If she sits next to us on the couch her feet are constantly tapping against our legs, or she is kicking her legs, or trying to squeeze her legs under ours.

She regularly has "mad half hours" where she just does laps of the living room. When she runs outdoors she can get up to some speed!

She has masses of outdoor time, and exercise, swims twice weekly, we do softplay, never ever use the buggy as she just walks (well, lollops) everywhere. She doesnt nap.anymore.

She is tall, and slim, and just burns everything off. She sleeps 7-7 and rarely wakes in the night.

I find it hard to walk with her holding my hand, she feels like she is going to pull me over. We have a newborn, so she is obviously experiencing some upheaval, but seems to be handling it well overall, and she was like this well before baby arrived.

I feel like im constantly saying sit still or stop jumping or walk sensibly. How much can I expect her to reign it in? Or do I just accept that this is what she is like?

flanjabelle Sat 01-Nov-14 19:05:39

I think you just have to accept it, there's nothing really wrong with it. The only part I would be strict on is holding hands when needed for safety reasons. It would be non optional for me, hold hands or wear reins (Sp).

upyourninja Sat 01-Nov-14 19:06:01

My DD, same age, is exactly the same and has been since she was tiny. She sleeps a bit less but sounds otherwise the same - can't be still, is usually to be found four feet in the air on furniture, legs it about the house, has free access to the garden but no exercise is enough, scoots so fast I can barely keep up.

I think we are going to take her to gym and ballet classes when she turns three - use up some energy and teach her some discipline in her movement!

Even when reading a bookshe is upside down/fidgety/nipping off to get something.

It's exhausting isn't it!

FishWithABicycle Sat 01-Nov-14 19:08:24

Sounds normal to me.
Consider getting a trampoline with a net around. Zip her into the net to bounce off her excess energy from time to time.

QuietNinjaTardis Sat 01-Nov-14 19:18:19

Ds is the same and he's nearly 5 now. Since he could crawl he hasn't stopped moving. He will jump around the living room throwing himself about and I have to take him out every day to exercise him or he just bounces off the walls. He also skips every where. His little sister is shaping up to be the same at 10 months. She's already walking and has been for several weeks and climbs (and throws herself off) the sofa, climbs the stairs and doesn't sit still. I'm blessed not with very active children which for someone who enjoys snuggling up with a good book and not moving for several hours is quite a hardship.
I have no advice as it sounds like she gets plenty of exercise which I think is all you can do really.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sat 01-Nov-14 19:25:36

Dont get me wrong she is well behaved and doesnt run off - always holds my hand or the handle on the babys buggy when out. But get her next to some grass with permission to let go of my hand and she is like a machine.

Glad to hear im.not the only one.

She starts nursery (preschool) in January and ive picked afternoons to get her worn out, and her nursery is half indoor.and half outdoor and they can spend as much time outside as they fancy, so that may help.

EatDessertFirst Sat 01-Nov-14 21:38:25

DS (just 4) is exactly like this and always has been. As long as she holds hands when she is out, I think its just something you'll have to live with smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now