Talk

Advanced search

Lightbulb Obsession?

(11 Posts)
Stanleysmum01 Sat 01-Nov-14 13:43:56

Does any other mum out there have a 3 year old little boy with a lightbulb and battery obsession its driving me bananas. It started when he was about 18 months with batteries, taking them in and out of everything, all his toys, remote controls, he collects them puts them in his bag (over a 100 in his rucksack alone), he does put them back in occasionally. And before any asks he never puts them in his mouth not once he's very careful, he then started with lightbulbs, he found a box of eco ones in our new house and has since then added more and more, if he accidentally breaks one he's absolutely mortified, every time we go to the supermarket or a friends house he seeks them out and really has a strop if he can't have one. I can take him down the sweet aisle or past toys and he's not interested, in fact for his birthday I took him to the toys r us to choose a bike or another toy and he didn't want any of them just the gold batteries by the till. He even takes lightbulbs out of lights when I'm in the bathroom, and yes he knows to switch the plug off, in fact he can undo plugs and remove the fuses, kid proofing doesn't work, he knows which sort of screwdriver to get and cracks on, nothing is safe. I try distracting him drawing, painting, cooking but its all short-lived. The first thing he mentions when he opens his eyes is which battery or lightbulb he wants! Help how long will this last? Todays main interest is the up lighters in our lounge and he's pestering us to take the bulb out.

pippinleaf Sat 01-Nov-14 14:58:57

For me, it would trigger thoughts of your son being on the autistic spectrum. I've been a teacher for years and often the little boys with ASD are obsessed with something technical - street lights, traffic lights, elevators, vacuum cleaners etc. it might be worth googling to see if he ticks any other boxes. It's not necessarily a big deal but you may read more about it and realise there are lots of things that describe your son and can help you understand him better.

Stanleysmum01 Sat 01-Nov-14 18:12:17

Thanks for the advice will check it out, it did cross my mind he could be mildly autistic but he's also really friendly and social with adults and children. Today we bought a pack of 12 batteries and an LED lightbulb from B and Q which he took an age to choose the right ones.

gamerchick Sat 01-Nov-14 18:16:30

Yes my youngest goes through things like this.. like his clock one. Kids would harp on for toys or stuff in shops. He would present me with a clock.

He has AND is also friendly and social with adults and has beautiful eye contact with people he's bonded to.

It might be worth getting him assessed.

gamerchick Sat 01-Nov-14 18:16:54

*ASD

Stanleysmum01 Sat 01-Nov-14 19:06:34

Hi gamerchick do I get him assessed through the g.p or his health visitor?, certainly sounds similar. He has lots of routines he likes, I can't have my hair down he only likes it up, will only let me get him ready for bed, his dad or nan are not allowed near him at bedtime. He also doesn't like my hand resting on my cheek for some reason as it obscures my mouth when he's looking at me. Certainly nice to know that he's not the only boy out there who likes unusual items.

gamerchick Sat 01-Nov-14 21:24:09

I just went through the HV.

Although I have to say there doesn't sound as if there is anything mild about what you've posted. get the ball rolling asap. The sooner you get him in the system the sooner you can get support for school.

gamerchick Sat 01-Nov-14 21:26:13

I apologise if I sound abrupt i've had the bowels of hell descend the past couple of days. If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them anytime.

girliefriend Sat 01-Nov-14 21:28:06

Quite a lot of children go through phases of collecting things or being obsessed by something but your last post sounds like it is more than that. I would speak to the G.P and ask for a referral.

pippinleaf Sat 01-Nov-14 21:57:25

If you google ASD you will find various online questionnaires which give you and idea of whether a lot of 'boxes' are ticked and then you can pursue a diagnosis through a GP who basically also complete a tick box assessment. It would be a great idea to do this before he starts at school so that he can have the best start with teachers who understand if there are times he needs additional help or structure. In the meantime - enjoy the batteries wink

Stanleysmum01 Sun 02-Nov-14 14:00:04

Thanks for your advice I'll certainly look into it, mostly I'd put it down to him being an only child and all that, gamerchick I hope your feeling better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now