Talk

Advanced search

swimming with multiple kids

(6 Posts)
capecath Fri 31-Oct-14 13:59:56

Bit random, but we are due to go to a holiday park next year with our 3 boys who will be almost 5, almost 3 and about 2 months. I am trying to imagine how we (dh and i) will work swimming with all of them. One of us would need to be with the baby. Ds1 is confident in armbands, can be on own but likes being helped. Ds2 would be in armbands too but needs lots help. Do you think it would work to have baby in car seat back by the wall on poolside, both of us in costumes and alternate, or any other suggestions on how to work it?? There is also a toddler pool but the boys do like venturing into the main pool as well.

m0therofdragons Fri 31-Oct-14 14:07:55

Get a float for baby to sit in and float around in then you can help toddler and keep baby safe then the other parent looks after older one. It's fine. I have 3 dds including twins and this works for us.

JuniperTisane Fri 31-Oct-14 14:10:09

Would a 2 month old be stable enough to use a float seat?

capecath Fri 31-Oct-14 14:10:29

Good thought, thanks. I think we might have one somewhere hmm.. Do you think 2 months would be ok for a float?

blacktreaclecat Fri 31-Oct-14 14:16:02

DS has a float jacket rather than arm bands and can get around the pool fine without me, although I'm always close by. He's 2.4.

attheendoftheday Sun 02-Nov-14 22:19:46

I would think one parent holds the baby in one arm and helps the eldest, while the other helps the middle one.

I've always managed my two (19 months apart). I think the idea is harder that the reality. I would also get in as much swimming practice as you can beforehand, if you have a bit of time you might find the older two could be swimming pretty well by then.

I know you didn't ask this, but I thought I should pass on, arm bands can be very unhelpful when learning to swim as they stop the child paddling with their arms properly. On the advice of our swimming teacher we put dd1 in a swim fin (like a float strapped to her back) and a noodle and she was swimming well very quickly soon after her third birthday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now