Talk

Advanced search

post birth night sweats - HELP!!!

(16 Posts)
marshy123 Fri 31-Oct-14 03:29:32

I am now exactly 4 weeks post birth and wake up every night dripping wet through. Does anyone know how long this lasts, I am breastfeeding my son and have to sleep on towels, It's so bad that when I wake up to do the night feed I have to blow dry my hair, strip the wet towels off the bed and change my nightie (lightweight so it's not heat from that).
confused
What is strange is that I don't seem to sweat that much after doing the middle of the night feed.
Any clues as to what to do folks? Going crazy and doc just says nothing she can do!

Rinkydinkypink Fri 31-Oct-14 03:43:54

Hormones! Their buggers!

I had this as did a few of my friends. Always at night and ringing wet. We all went to the drs and were all told the same thing. It's normal!

It does settle eventually. I'm sorry to say you could be looking at months . It took me almost a year and my friends were over 6 months before it went.

It's normal!

PragmaticWench Fri 31-Oct-14 03:52:49

Same here, currently feeding DS and feeling grim from waking up soaked. I can't remember how long it lasted after having DD though which is annoying. I manage it by keeping a window sightly open, sleeping with my hair tied up and changing the bedding stupidly often.

LadyCybilCrawley Fri 31-Oct-14 04:18:13

I got this with my second child - unfortunately still have it 9 years later - sorry - I assume my case is extreme tho - had all the tests - I'm "normal" so I guess I just put up wih it and Always sleep with towels and spare pjs in a neat pile in my bedside table

Eastpoint Fri 31-Oct-14 04:35:16

I had this & had it during my period until I was in my early 40s (sorry).

Twinklestar2 Fri 31-Oct-14 04:42:36

My boy is 12 weeks on Monday and I'm permanently hot and sweaty! Sorry...

Ohnodisaster Fri 31-Oct-14 04:50:00

I had this but only for a few weeks

McFox Fri 31-Oct-14 05:36:11

It just lasted a few weeks for me too, don't be too freaked out by the tales above!

katheroo Fri 31-Oct-14 06:00:09

I had this too, completely soaked through every morning. DD is 8 months and I can't quite remember when it stopped, somewhere around the 3 month mark I think.

marshy123 Fri 31-Oct-14 06:50:30

Oh noooooo! Thanks everyone, glad to hear it's normal but not glad to hear how long some of them lasted.

Did anyone try diet changes at all and if so did it make any difference at all ?

I'm so desperate to try anything it's completely draining me!

Heatherbell1978 Fri 31-Oct-14 08:50:41

I have this and didn't realise it was a thing until googling it! Thought our flat was too warm....DS1 is 10 weeks now and it seems to have got better in that I'm not dripping with sweat but still having to kick off the covers when he wakes for his first feed. Funny enough it's only the first feed I wake up sweaty, after that I'm fine.

ChasedByBees Fri 31-Oct-14 08:56:27

Oh yes, you've just reminded me I had that. Mine lasted a couple of weeks at most.

BalloonSlayer Fri 31-Oct-14 08:57:52

Well it's also getting rid of excess water so you should lose baby weight a bit faster! (Supposing you had any to lose of course)

I am just starting to enter the menopause and haven't had any hot flushes yet but am getting the night sweats, yuck!

Alb1 Fri 31-Oct-14 09:11:19

Iv had this! DS will be 7 weeks on Sunday an it got better about 2 weeks ago but still have it a few nights a week, I'm slightly relieved to see other people have this tho, I was a little worried it was just me blush

Lovelise Fri 31-Oct-14 09:14:01

Oh yes, the night sweats. I had them every night for a few weeks then they gradually subsided. I still get them occasionally now.

I think my body temperature has generally gone up after giving birth. I always seem to be a sweaty betty!

As another poster mentioned, its only hormones.

mrsmugoo Fri 31-Oct-14 14:05:23

Yes I had this terribly! Woke up drenched through and shivering 3 or 4 times a night.

I forgot how long it lasted for but if you're 4 weeks postpartum then it shouldn't be too much longer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now