Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do you give your children a multi-vitamin?

(23 Posts)
sonicscrewdriver Thu 30-Oct-14 19:38:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Brassrubbing Thu 30-Oct-14 20:03:03

My 2.5 year old gets multi vit drops in his milk before bedtime daily.

Brassrubbing Thu 30-Oct-14 20:04:26

I think the brand is 'DaliVit'. There are lots of options, though.

Pancakeflipper Thu 30-Oct-14 20:08:37

I don't, I give them a pro-biotic each morning.

I have noticed that DS1 rarely gets a cold ( touch wood), whilst his class were recently wiped out with high temps and snots - he had a slight sniffle.

UriGeller Thu 30-Oct-14 20:08:43

My two have multivits because they can be picky eaters.
I don't think multvits will stop them from catching a virus but I guess if their immune system is boosted by vitamins and minerals (I know zinc is good) and they are strong otherwise then they may shake off a cold a little better.

UriGeller Thu 30-Oct-14 20:10:35

Which probiotic do you use Pancake?

minipie Thu 30-Oct-14 20:13:17

Up until recently DD age 2 got vitamin liquid (Wellkid) in her morning porridge. I've run out and debating whether to get more or not.

She was on it all last winter and got every bug going so it's certainly not a guarantee of good health!

Fairylea Thu 30-Oct-14 20:17:36

My 2.4 year old does because he is a fussy eater and his diet mainly consists of toast, tuna sandwiches, raspberries and chunks of cheese (and lots of very unhealthy cereals as sometimes that is all he will eat - I've tried and am trying everything).

His older sister is 11 and eats everything and anything so I don't worry about the vits so much.

I have immune system problems and a pituitary tumour so I take Holland and barrett super one tablets which were recommended by my endocrinologist.

Pancakeflipper Thu 30-Oct-14 20:17:56

Currently Optibac -powder version as I have a child who has a dairy allergy and a lot have dairy in. It is not cheap but I use 1 sachet a day between them cheapskate .

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 30-Oct-14 20:20:06

Yup. DD (4) is an incredibly fussy eater so she gets a multivitamin, plus spatone (gentle iron supplement), plus vitamin D drops. Out of those the vitamin D is probably the most important, and something many (most?) of us are fairly deficient in.

EatDessertFirst Thu 30-Oct-14 20:30:11

Mine get a multi-vitamin pastille thingy (Asda own brand). They can be picky about veg and it stops me fretting on the off chance they don't eat a lot. No allergy/specific dietary requirements here.

cantmakecarrotcake Thu 30-Oct-14 21:40:28

My DD's paediatrician recommended she take a multivitamin to boost her Vit D and iron which were low. He did say that he recommends all children under 5 take a multivit.

DD takes WellKid vitamins in her morning milk. When she turns 4 I'll switch her to the chewy tablet version.

I'm not convinced the multivit will prevent colds and bugs but vit D in particular is hard to get via dietary sources so is worth supplementing.

minipie Thu 30-Oct-14 22:51:03

One tip I was given about vitamin D - you want to make sure your supplement has D3 (cholecalciferol) in it rather than D2. (If it doesn't say, it's probably D2 as that's cheaper.)

I was told that D2 is not really absorbed by the body and is fairly useless, D3 is much more readily absorbed.

Think I'll go out and buy more of the Wellkid liquid having read this!

odyssey2001 Fri 31-Oct-14 20:18:20

Wellkid multivitamin liquid with iron, once a day without fail.

SpawnOfFrustration Fri 31-Oct-14 20:23:05

I tried but the liquid multivitamin I bought seems to give DD the runs so I've stopped

JustAShopGirl Fri 31-Oct-14 20:25:35

No. We just go for good food and plenty of fresh air. Last cold here was over a year ago, May last year. Don't think that a multivitamin will have much effect if diet is good and you get enough daylight on your skin.

LittleLionMansMummy Sat 01-Nov-14 08:06:09

It's never occurred to me to give ds a multivitamin. He eats a balanced diet which includes loads of fruit and veg.

If i were going to consider one it would be vit d as it's not in many foods and there's a lack of sunshine in winter.

MERLYPUSSEDOFF Sat 01-Nov-14 09:55:02

Mine don't. They have a fairly good diet (not fantastic but lots of veg, even if it's frozen). They play out a lot and I try to get them to handwash frequently when they've been in crowded places like the bus.
My niece works in a nursery and she hardly ever gets colds as she is meticulous about handwashing.

CalamitouslyWrong Sat 01-Nov-14 10:01:18

It's never occurred to me to give the kids vitamins either. Neither is a fussy eater and they spent time outside pretty much every day so I'm not sure I need one.

Neither of them gets I'll very often. They both had pretty much constant colds and such like through nursery but have been fine since starting school. Ds1 (14) is pretty much never ill, while DS2 (5) still picks up the odd virus.

DH and I spend the whole of autumn and winter getting ill because first year undergraduate students are bloody vectors of disease. Weirdly the kids never seem to catch it from us. I've got an autoimmune condition though, and DH is one of the malingering types.

sonicscrewdriver Sun 02-Nov-14 09:23:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gamerchick Sun 02-Nov-14 09:34:49

I do and fish oil because he's a shit eater not because I want to ward off illness.

My Dr told me you could take St johns wart when on the pill. Some doctors aren't the brightest and some will give their personal opinion as fact.

crazykat Sun 02-Nov-14 09:36:33

Mine have a vitamin D and calcium vitamin every day.

They eat a decent variety of food and loads of fruit and veg so I'm not worried about other vitamins but vitamin D is mostly from the sun and we can go weeks without seeing direct sunlight where we live in the winter.

mattilamor Fri 20-May-16 14:48:53

Hi I have just joined this site and I am after some help. My GP has suggested I give my Very fussy eater a multivitamin. My 4 year old has a very limited diet although appears to thrive. My problem is finding something he will take. So far tried drops, liquid in drinks and cute teddy "sweets". No go!! I even crushed teddies into melted chocolate!!! Still no go. Please any suggestions. Thank you so much. Chewable tablets are also refused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now