Talk

Advanced search

Cold baby

(9 Posts)
beckiebee04 Thu 30-Oct-14 08:28:11

I'm a little worried, with the change in weather I now tuk my 5 month old up in a vest and baby grow, a sleeveless sleeping bag and a warm blanket and a lightweight one to tuk her in but in morning she's wriggled out of the blankets and her hands and cheeks are stone cold... Is there anything I can do? xXx

GrouchyKiwi Thu 30-Oct-14 10:03:30

Don't worry about her hands and face. Babies' extremities are often cold. As long as her core is warm - so check her chest or the back of her neck - then she'll be fine. If she wasn't warm enough she'd wake up.

If you are worried about it, though, you could try to find baby grows with the fold-over mitts?

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 30-Oct-14 10:39:29

Sounds like she might be too hot in a grobag and two blankets to be honest.

What temperature is the room overnight/early morning and what tog is the sleeping bag?

What we used to find tricky was that the room would be a comfortable 20 degrees at night but drop to 16 sometimes lower before the heating came on in the morning. We either put the DD's to bed with the window open to drop the temp a little, or parked a portable oil heater at the doorway on a low temp to stop it from getting too nippy.

It's still really mild though - are you in the UK?

Squidstirfry Thu 30-Oct-14 12:42:07

If u r in the uk with this warm autumn we're having, and presuming your house has central heating, your baby is way too hot in all of that.
Just the nappy/vest/sleeping bag (2.5tog) is enogh
Unless u r in Canada or Scotland

beckiebee04 Thu 30-Oct-14 13:59:55

I am uk, it's not really two blankets , one is a blanket, other is like a large stretchy muslin square I use to stop her kicking the cover off, the sleeping bag is quite thin and is the lowest tog, her core is warm in a morning and she's full of smiles , just wondered if it was normal or not

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Thu 30-Oct-14 14:53:21

My DD sleeps in a vest, babygro and 1tog sleeping bag. Shes happy and warm chest and back in the morning but her hands are freezing. If I put a blanket over her she is roasting!
I'd say leave blankets off but try a warmer sleeping bag if worried.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 30-Oct-14 15:52:31

The cold hands and face are normal. I'd ditch the blanket and move up a tog or two. DD is in 2.5 tog with pj's and no socks. No vest as yet but her room is usually around 20 degrees

The grobag guidelines on their website are generally v good in my experience.

Re the blankets. She will only get more mobile and will soon start rolling over in her sleep. It's a total chore to have to get up in the middle of the night to a cold or upset, blanket entangled baby. Worse still, one who has dragged it over their head. You'll give yourself a heart attack that way.

Amummyatlast Thu 30-Oct-14 17:45:16

I agree with the suggestions to move up a tog. Now it's cooler, most nights my LO has a vest, sleepsuit and 2.5 tog, nothing more (and we forgo the vest if its warmer than usual). Part of the reason we used sleeping bags was to avoid the worry over using blankets and, as others say, they are easy to kick off.

minipie Thu 30-Oct-14 20:14:30

If she was too cold she would wake up and tell you, believe me!

This is why overheating is more dangerous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now