Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

baby toothpaste

(17 Posts)
Imeg Wed 29-Oct-14 16:37:24

We've just got the first teeth poking through the gum so I need to start brushing soon. I seem to remember reading somewhere that babies don't like the taste of mint, but the only other flavoured toothpaste I could find was for 3yrs+.
I just wondered whether others started off with mint or with something else?

NorahBone Wed 29-Oct-14 17:11:38

The supermarket own brand paste I have is very mild mint and also very sweet. No problems with teeth brushing here! Just make sure the fluoride's at least 1000 ppm.

WhispersOfWickedness Wed 29-Oct-14 17:18:30

Adult toothpaste will have too much fluoride. There is one called Milk Teeth which is for 0-3 year olds smile

Imeg Wed 29-Oct-14 17:25:08

Sorry whispers, I can see it wasn't entirely clear - I wasn't going to use adult toothpaste, just wondered whether he's likely to accept baby mint flavoured, or whether I should try to hunt down a different flavour baby toothpaste (banana/strawberry or similar).
Thanks smile

WhyOWhyWouldYou Wed 29-Oct-14 17:56:00

Not using mint toothpaste sets you up for problems later. Especially as flavoured ones don't tend to have enough fluoride.

DS loved baby minty toothpaste from the start but if not, if you repeatedly expose a baby to a flavour they do learn to like it.

Littlef00t Wed 29-Oct-14 18:40:25

Dd doesn't have a problem with the minty toothpaste she uses.

futterwacken Wed 29-Oct-14 18:42:43

Mine likes her minty toothpaste, the kids ones are much sweeter and milder than an adult mint flavour

PinkAndBlueBedtimeScares Wed 29-Oct-14 18:43:46

If you've only ever used mint toothpaste then there shouldn't be a problem, my 2yo dd loves the minty stuff!

curlyclaz13 Wed 29-Oct-14 18:47:04

We use brushbaby applemint ds loves it and gets all excite about cleaning his teeth,

MamaMed Wed 29-Oct-14 19:03:20

My DD prefers mint to bubblegum flavour blush

cantmakecarrotcake Wed 29-Oct-14 19:48:27

The water in our area doesn't have fluoride so the HVs advise we use a small amount of mild adult toothpaste straight away.

That said, my dd hated brushing teeth so we used an Aquafresh 0-3 toothpaste which is mildly minty.

WhispersOfWickedness Wed 29-Oct-14 22:14:48

Ah, I see, sorry blush
The baby toothpastes are very mildly flavoured, so I'm sure they will be fine smile

NoraRobertsismyguiltypleasure Wed 29-Oct-14 22:19:24

My DD has only ever had the minty Milk Teeth one and she has never minded - you only put a tiny smear on anyway, so it's very mild. She tried a strawberry flavour one that she got given and wouldn't touch it.

elQuintoConyo Wed 29-Oct-14 22:24:17

I'm abroad. I was advised not to use toothpaste until 3yo as smaller dc cannot spit hmm

I may have to start using it tomorrow fucking doctors and their hogwash

stargirl1701 Wed 29-Oct-14 22:29:02

I have yet to buy toothpaste and DD1 is 2 years old. Childsmile in Scotland seem to throw toothbrushes and toothpaste at us at every child event!

PinkAndBlueBedtimeScares Wed 29-Oct-14 23:06:32

I was told to use a tiny tiny amount of toothpaste until they can spit dd eats more crayon than toothpaste anyway..

BedPig2013 Thu 30-Oct-14 13:13:41

I've always used aquafresh or colgate 0-3 mild mint and dd had been fine with it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now