Talk

Advanced search

Drunk Mother.

(7 Posts)
Mango92 Wed 08-Oct-14 00:02:40

Does anyone know the law in regards to a parent being under the influence whilst caring for a very young baby?
I know of a young woman who has a son the same age as mine (8 weeks, hence the concern) who drinks regularly. She is battling postnatal depression and I guess it helps he get by, or so she thinks.
Anyway, I know it's against the law to be in charge of anyone under 7 years old, whilst in a public place. But what about at home?
She is not incapable of caring for her son but I still have my concerns. After all, accidents do happen and with her current state of mind combined, naturally I'm a little worried.
I would like to know the facts. p0Perhaps approaching her with the right information might steer her in the right direction.
Thanks in advance x

WhatKatyDidToday Wed 08-Oct-14 00:17:38

Just because she is under the influence, doesn't mean she isn't capable. However, I personally would report it to social services.

mupperoon Wed 08-Oct-14 00:21:00

Doesn't it depend how much she drinks and the context?

MiscellaneousAssortment Wed 08-Oct-14 00:33:22

I'd mention it to your/ her HV

Mango92 Wed 08-Oct-14 00:46:47

Well its more than just a couple of drinks with dinner but she isn't blind drunk by any means.
It puts me in a tough spot as she see's me as someone she can talk to so I want to take a more gentle approach rather than getting her in any trouble. I don't feel that the baby is in any immediate danger but I have seen first hand the damage booze can do and it is a slippery slope.
I would rather push her towards getting the help and support she needs rather than dropping her in it.

Metalhead Wed 08-Oct-14 08:57:30

I don't know about the legalities of it, but clearly it's not a good idea to be drunk when you're looking after a baby. Has she told you that she drinks, or how do you know? Is she getting any help from her HV/doctor for the PND?

If she's a friend could you maybe suggest that you can imagine it's hard for her looking after a newborn with PND, but that she really should be getting some medical help or counselling as the drinking surely cannot be a long term solution?

It is a tough situation for both of you, I had PND too and was reluctant to get help at first, but I think if she carries on drinking then you need to try and do something for both her and the baby's sake.

PrivateJourney Wed 08-Oct-14 09:16:55

I didn't now to was illegal to drink in a public place whilst caring for a child under 7? How does that work with nice MC families camped out in beer gardens on a summer's afternoon?

Is you friend getting appropriate help with the PND? That's probably more important than focusing on the drinking, which she will see as an attack against her choices IYSWIM

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now