Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Burger strop

(7 Posts)
Shhthebabyisasleep Tue 01-Apr-14 11:49:48

I picked the children up from school today (not uk time zone) and said that we were going to stop at the supermarket and have lunch out as a treat!

Immediately they start arguing about where we are going. They always do this. I said it wasn't their decision where we went, it is my turn to choose and I've chosen a particular burger place ( which everyone loves by the way). 5 yo starts whining that he wants to go to the place next door. I agree that next door is nice (trying to be matter of fact and light hearted) but we need more than a bun today and its the burger place or nothing.

Whine whine whine whine whine. I don't want a burger. I don't like that place. I want to go to the other place. Wah wah poor me being taken out for a burger.

Flames shot from my nostrils and the veins on my forehead burst like fireworks. I turned the car around and now here we are at home. I've told them I realise its unfair on the other two, but I just can't cope with ungrateful whining any time I suggest something nice. Perhaps next time they'll say "thanks mum" and just enjoy the sodding treat.

And I can't go to the supermarket to get the things I need because 5 yo won't get out of the car. At least he's stopped howling.

And I'm hungry.

sad

Shhthebabyisasleep Tue 01-Apr-14 11:51:13

When he realised I was serious about coming home he changed his mind and said he would like a burger after all. Too late.

chattychattyboomba Tue 01-Apr-14 11:53:59

You've done well OP. Might not seem like it at the moment because you've hungry and your son is worked up... But dems de breaks!

Monkeyandanimal Tue 01-Apr-14 11:54:57

god i've been there. It's so hard, when all you want to do is do something that they will really enjoy and they drag their feet or fight, and you kind of feel 'why do i bother?' I think you probably did the right thing, though it's hard for all of you.

ResponsibleAdult Tue 01-Apr-14 11:58:52

Indeed, too late. You did the correct thing. Well done

You made a reasonable offer, explained your reasoning, explained the alternative was going home if the whining didn't stop. Whining didn't stop. You went home.

Son is now cross at you, he should be cross at himself, when you've calmed down don't have flames from nostrils and can talk without spontaneously combusting you can make that point to him.

Actions have consequences, a lesson best learnt young.

Bit of a pain about your lunch though, next time (there will be a next time) have a contingency eg quick stop at a mini mart, leftovers in the fridge. HTH smile

BertieBotts Tue 01-Apr-14 12:00:51

They're always so moany straight after school aren't they? I try to keep it low key but it's such a pain when you need to go out and do something!

I think you were right too.

Shhthebabyisasleep Tue 01-Apr-14 13:55:29

Thanks for the support. All over now and everyone friends again. I'm glad I stuck to my guns. It's a regular script; me suggesting something nice and them immediately taking opposing stances so that I have to be the bad guy and rule against one of them. Like Monkey said, it makes me wonder why I bother sometimes! It's so deflating. Well perhaps next time they might be more pleasant. We shall see.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now