Talk

Advanced search

Feeling down, feeling i'm rubbish

(14 Posts)
milkyman Mon 31-Mar-14 13:51:52

My ds who is 17mth was the naughty one at a singing group today. All the other children sit nicely and share. My runs around taking toys and throwing them, whining and tantruming. Felt so embarassed. People commented on itblush

RichardSharpesLeftKnee Mon 31-Mar-14 13:57:02

She's 17m, it's nothing to do with you, really smile

She is very young to be expected to sit and play nicely when she just wanted to explore. The difficulty is at that age they are almost too young to understand being told off or taken away from something if they are not playing nicely.

What did the other people say? How horrible of them to comment. Unless you were sitting back watching your DD batter other kids around the head with a toy, which I imagine you weren't?

nevergoogle Mon 31-Mar-14 13:58:58

Maybe he doesn't really like singing group but would prefer something a bit more active? He's still so young.

I don't think my eldest ever sat for any singing/music session of a toddler group ever. He's 9 now and constantly singing. He still doesn't like singing groups though.

milkyman Mon 31-Mar-14 14:04:15

You are right, it is not right for him even though there older children there. He is very busy and curious. The worst he did was grab toys from children and throw a toy on the ground. He didnt hit any other children. I need to get a grip really, just struggling with the changes in him and dont know how to deal with him. Why do others always seem so well behaved?

RichardSharpesLeftKnee Mon 31-Mar-14 14:04:23

Whoops, sorry for the DD rather than DS blush

nevergoogle Mon 31-Mar-14 14:12:12

others seem well behaved to annoy and worry the parents of the more lively children.

my two boys were completely different. the first, very active and groups were a nightmare. the second, much more relaxed but got stood on and pushed over in groups. equally annoying. he didn't enjoy groups for different reasons and would be fairly clingy and practically mute in groups until the age of 4. i guess that would be interpreted as well behaved??

GiveTwoSheets Mon 31-Mar-14 14:13:18

No he not the naughty one! These singing groups are suppose to be informal and fun that don't expect child to sit still, especially toddlers. Ignore the comments of others there and take him again, the only time I left with my little one was when he started having screaming paddy but i knew because he was tired.

milkyman Mon 31-Mar-14 14:16:33

The thing is I think he really enjoyed it, clapping, doing actions etc.. He throws himself in with gusto but doesnt like to be told which instrument to hold. Hes more of a freestyler musician, maybe jazz is more his thing! grin

nevergoogle Mon 31-Mar-14 14:17:29

smile that's more like it.

nevergoogle Mon 31-Mar-14 14:18:05

every band needs an unpredictable frontman.

I gave up on rhyme time after 2 sessions as Ds was the same. He's just turned two and has only just started to have enough patience to sit and draw or do a puzzle, and even now its only 10 minutes. He just prefers doing active physical stuff, maybe your Ds is the same?

Its hard though so I do understand. I look at toddlers sitting nicely in prams in shops or supermarket trolleys and wonder where you get one of those kids from grin

If its any help I really smuggled between

Oops sorry! Struggled between.about 15 months and 22 months as he wanted to do so much but couldn't manage it physically. Now he's more verbal and physically able he's great fun.

rumbelina Mon 31-Mar-14 14:57:25

He sounds totally normal. The other kids SEEM well behaved but you wait til they get home - won't eat, won't sleep, etc.... smile

Busy and curious is GOOD. Or that's what people told me when my 17 month old was busy doing a runner/getting in people's faces. Just wait til he can talk - oh the questions! But it is all good, he is having an adventure. I always just removed him if he was pissing people off, and obviously gave back toys that he took from other children. it will pass...

milkyman Mon 31-Mar-14 18:18:29

Thanks all, feeling better. Maybe it means hes bright! Think I was always a quiet, good girl and would play with dollies! Not used to boys always nearly all girls in my family!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now