Talk

Advanced search

How can I stop myself from crying when DS goes to nursery this week?

(6 Posts)
dodi1978 Mon 31-Mar-14 12:40:47

I am, and have always been a very emotional person.

DS (8 months) will start nursery tomorrow, view a view to building him up to a full day by the end of the week. I'll go back to work next week.

This morning, I had to take DS to the doctor due to a bad cough (I posted about it in children's health). He is ok, but when I left, the doctor asked me how I felt about going back to work and him starting nursery, and I totally cracked. And I know that I fill find this week extremely tough.

I want to keep in a good frame of mind for DS, but am not sure I can. Can you pass on any tricks?

By the way, I know I'll be ok eventually... I'll probably have a good cry (in the office of the lovely nursery manager), but how can I hold it together when I actually leave DS behind in the playroom?

dodi1978 Mon 31-Mar-14 12:41:44

By the way, having DH with me wouldn't necessarily help. I still cried when we had a second tour a couple of weeks ago and he was there...

AtrociousCircumstance Mon 31-Mar-14 12:47:08

Just do your best to hold it in and have a good bawl as soon as you're around the corner. If you can't manage that and start crying before you go don't beat yourself up - it's only natural.

Your LO will be fine and so will you, it's a big adjustment but you'll be ok smile

DrankSangriaInThePark Mon 31-Mar-14 12:53:07

You will cry, of course you will.

He won't even notice you're not there. Hang onto that.

I remember dd being taken off by her nursery teacher who said "be off with you then" and I blubbed like a right one all the way home.

Dd never looked back. She is 10 now, and I still say I would have left her with that teacher till she finished university.

You will be fine, truly. And so will he. flowers

dodi1978 Mon 31-Mar-14 13:11:07

Thanks everybody. It will ok. It will. It will.

His nursery is right next to the sports complex where I am usually swimming, so this is where I might take myself to on Thursday after I leave... just swim my lungs out for an hour! Better than crying.

Sigh. These lovely eight months of my life are over. Today was supposed to be my last day of 'proper' maternity leave, with his last swimming class. I was soooo looking forward to it, but due to his cold, we had to go to the doctors instead. I know this was the right decision, but I just would have loved to see him having fun in the pool one last time!

Twitterqueen Mon 31-Mar-14 13:14:54

Of course you will cry. I cried with all 3 of mine - and cried again as each one left nursery. Funnily enough them going to school didn't worry me.

The best thing is to throw (not literally!) your child at the nearest nursery worker and then make a run for it.

Make sure you have tissues in your car, plus replacement make-up. thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now