Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How does your 10 yo son behave?

(17 Posts)
Contraryish Fri 28-Mar-14 15:06:42

My son will be 10 in a few weeks. As I have no real contact with other school mums, I have no real benchmark in terms of behaviour, so wondered if you lot could give me any clues!

For example, do they throw tantrums, do what they're told, say please and thank you, behave well at school? Are there things you've been telling them to do since the year dot that they keep on ignoring? Do they help around the house, get on with their siblings, etc? Are they generally a joy to have around?

Thank you!

MaeMobley Fri 28-Mar-14 15:08:02

will reply later. I have one who turns 10 in July.

Girlwithnotattoos Fri 28-Mar-14 15:08:58

My ds is 10 and usually well behaved especially at school. But when combined with an xbox and homework to do/bedtime/anything other than xbox he's a horror. Have banned it mon-Thurs in the hope that he returns to his old self.

Contraryish Sat 29-Mar-14 07:19:36

Thanks both! Anyone else ...

DottyDot Sat 29-Mar-14 07:27:44

Ds2 turns 10 in two weeks and he's fantastic about 95% of the time. Does his jobs (clearing the dinner table every day, putting bins out when reminded, putting clothes away when reminded...). He walks to/from school on his own and will go to the shops for us if he can get to keep the change... He's polite, easy to take out and about, chatty and will generally do stuff when asked/reminded.

The big difference I've noticed between him and ds1 (12) is that since going to secondary school, ds1 now offers to do stuff, which I'm hoping also happens with ds2 in the future!

Every now and then ds2 will have a meltdown - refuses to do stuff, gets stroppy. Instant ipod ban usually does the trick - he's stubborn but will apologise eventually.

Draughts Sat 29-Mar-14 07:30:35

My 10 yr old son is very polite & never any trouble at school, but he can be selfish at home. He's fairly deaf & wears hearing aids - I've noticed him starting to switch them off when I'm talking to him, so definitely developing an attitude hmmgrin.

SpringComeHereYouFabulousSeaso Sat 29-Mar-14 07:40:04

I've got a 9yr old DS and 10yr old dd (so not quite right but thought it might be useful anyway!)

Both do as they are told but often need reminding - please put your washing away, have you put your washing away, if your washing isn't put away then forget about the Xbox etc ad nauseam. Not deliberately naughty but low on their list of priorities!

Both are messy and leave their stuff everywhere despite nagging but will clear it up when told to.

Both behave well at school, have good manners and don't have tantrums. They both lose their temper occasionally but it doesn't last long.

Both answer back occasionally but get told off when they do.

They both help around the house when asked but would never think to do it unless prompting.

They are both lovely smile

NickyEds Sat 29-Mar-14 07:41:02

Once, when my nephew was 10 he threw himself on the floor,screamed, thrashed around- threats were made, things were thrown, insults shouted, actual death threats were issued against his siblings. He had been asked to empty the dishwasher!! The red mist would just descend over him. It went on for quite a long time and my sister was tearing her hair out but he came through it all and went back to being lovely!

wannabestressfree Sat 29-Mar-14 07:42:22

Mine is 10 in June and a jekyll and Hyde. Can be lovely, hardworking, has made two Mother's Day cards, BUT can be a defiant, rude, surely etc
He is the youngest of three boys mind you and I wonder if some of it is thinking he is older than he really is.....

SpringComeHereYouFabulousSeaso Sat 29-Mar-14 07:44:16

Wrong gender again but my friends' 10 yr old dd has huge tantrums, swears and even locked her out of the house one time. Although I am sure it will be different when they are teenagers there is no way I would tolerate that from my dc (at 9/10yrs) but they would never dream of behaving like that (at the moment grin)

MaeMobley Sat 29-Mar-14 07:49:08

I am back.

My DS, almost 10, is an iPad addict. Given half a chance he would be in front of some sort of screen 100% of the time.

Loves chess, maths, hates English, writing & discussing feelings. He still loves routine and hates it if you bend the rules/ change things at the last minute.

Loves school. Helps out with chores when asked. Good at sorting his clothes, etc the night before.

Has a few good friends. Not interested in the opposite sex yet.

HolidayCriminal Sat 29-Mar-14 08:05:08

9y+9months.

YES: violent impulses & generally an emotional basket case, fierce rivalry with siblings, throw tantrums, quite interested in sex, likes flowers, lego, Minecraft & cuddly soft toys

SOMETIMES; do what they're told, say please and thank you, ignoring me, help around the house,

NO: friends, half-decent manners, good behaviour anywhere, get on with their siblings, etc, a joy to have around,

Jan616 Sat 29-Mar-14 12:55:53

DS1 is 10 in a few months and is mostly a joy to have around. He prides himself on being the 'responsible' eldest child and will offer to run errands, put away the shopping etc. However for the more 'boring' tasks (e.g. cleaning room), he has to be reminded. We still have the odd meltdown, but he is getting much better at accepting discipline and getting on with things rather than sulking after being told off. In school he gets along well with his classmates and teachers and is very polite, but occasionally gets distracted in class.

We don't own an Xbox and DS is more interested in running around with nerf guns than playing video games- but I suspect this will start to change soon. He has a core group of friends (all boys) who can be quite silly and boisterous but are generally very nice boys. He is very protective of DS2 (who's turning 7) but can also be very bossy and domineering with him which I'm trying to discourage.

Aboyandabunny Sat 29-Mar-14 13:05:23

DS was 10 in January and mostly he is a delight but the Xbox/PS3/Laptop v. homework is a nightmare. He was under the impression I would 'do' his homework so he could get back to playing. This led to shouting matches and undone homework. Thankfully we are over the worst of this now.

Aboyandabunny Sat 29-Mar-14 13:10:28

Posted too soon.
He is becoming more helpful at home especially caring for his pet rabbit.
He sulks however, full shoulder shrugging and head hanging. I have learned just leave him to it as he needs to learn life doesn't always go your way and sulking is a poor coping mechanism. I suspect this may be slight only child syndrome too however.

MaeMobley Sat 29-Mar-14 17:47:39

Aboy, we get that too. He expects me to do his homework for him.

Another unrelated point, he still loves his teddy bear & has favourite cuddly toys. Not sure if that is usual.

He does not like new clothes.

Aboyandabunny Sat 29-Mar-14 20:07:32

Mae, my DS loves his cuddly toys now too, far more than he did as a younger child.
He has little interest in clothes either unless its something like a skateboarding chimp on the front (ugh!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now