Talk

Advanced search

New baby - struggling with sleep suits!!

(19 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Fri 28-Mar-14 09:43:34

I just need to post in order to rant really about how annoying I'm finding sleep suits.

The only sizes me and DH can find is Newborn or 0-3months.

The Newborn sleep suits are way too small but the 0-3 month ones are massive on him, they just drown him. I don't understand the 0-3 sizing at all....there's a huge difference in size between a new baby and a 3 month old!! The legs on the sleep suits hang about 10cm from the bottom of my baby's feet - he gets really frustrated and irritable in wearing them as his arms and legs just get lost and tangled inside.

My friend donated some of her old baby clothes to us and after trying some suits we managed to find 4 sleep suits that actually fit the baby, it just isn't enough.

Can anyone recommend anywhere that does sleep suits in an appropriate size? My baby was born 8lb 7oz.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

BigArea Fri 28-Mar-14 09:48:22

DD is 4 now so this isn't current info, but I found Mothercare came up massive so she was always in the size down IYSWIM. Next ones fitted her much better. Which brands have you tried? Also some show weights as well as age on the label which could help?

Corabell Fri 28-Mar-14 09:49:49

Tesco does an "up to on month" size which fitted my 8lb 15oz baby when the 0-3 month drowned her.

jennyl131 Fri 28-Mar-14 09:51:20

m.marksandspencer.com/mt/www.marksandspencer.com/2-pack-pure-cotton-assorted-design-bundler/p/p22243370#prodinfo13

I think these are out of stock, but mothercare sells something similar. So much easier than a sleepsuit, night time nappy changes are a doddle, no more faffing with poppers.

I managed to get the m&s 3-6 month ones to last until around 8 months and then just went on to pyjamas.

emmoB13 Fri 28-Mar-14 09:52:07

Have you tried Next? They do 'up to one month' which fit my 8lb baby well until he was at least 10lbs. Mamas and Papas were also good fits and i think they do 'up to one month' too. The cheaper brands like Tesco, Asda etc didn't wash well and always shrunk and Mothercare are huge! My baby is in 6 - 9 months now but 3 - 6 months in Mothercare. H&M do ones without the feet in which might help?

UriGeller Fri 28-Mar-14 09:59:00

I second the tesco 'up to one month' ones though if hes 8.5llbs now they won't last long.

A bit of oversizedness never bothered the baby or me, I just rolled the sleeves up.

My personal theory is that the sizing is not 'zero TO 3 months' (as in 'these will fit your baby for three months from age zero) but 'zero to 3 months (as in 'they will fit a big 0 monther or a tiny 3 monther or anything in between). That lightbulb moment has come after 4 children!

Beccadugs Fri 28-Mar-14 10:01:44

John lewis ones come up big too.
My 8lb6oz now 9lb baby fits these nicely at the mo!

Beccadugs Fri 28-Mar-14 10:02:04

And yes, I find the sizing a nightmare too!

Cuddlydragon Fri 28-Mar-14 10:03:45

Mamas and papas sizing comes up small so maybe the bigger size won't be so big. Marks are always generous, so our DS would fit a 0-3 mamas and papas long before he'd fit M &S. jojo maman are neat in their sizing too.

KatAndKit Fri 28-Mar-14 10:04:43

I agree, up to 1 month size is the way to go. Mothercare new baby size also goes up to 10lb. Whereas in some shops newborn only goes up to 7.5lb which is already too small for plenty of newborns. I liked next personally but tesco do a 1 month size for less money.

PlumpPartridge Fri 28-Mar-14 10:05:20

They are all very variable so I suggest you spend as little as possible! Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys, Morrisons - try them all and see. You have my sympathy, it does get irritating. And as soon as you find some perfect items your baby will have a poo explosion and ruin them grin

TheFantasticFixit Fri 28-Mar-14 10:08:39

I feel your pain.

I've got a tiddler (6lb 13oz) this time round and all the hand me downs from her much bigger sister are way, way too big. I've found though that Next 'first size' stuff fits perfectly. Mothercare and JL are way to big for her and she too gets very frustrated when her legs get tangled up

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 28-Mar-14 10:09:21

Sizes all vary and your ds will be growing pretty quickly so I would just use what you've got.

Does he really get frustrated and irritable wearing them or is it more that you wish they weren't a bit big on him? When our 2 were newborns they didn't appear to notice if things were a bit big on them, as long as they were warm, clean and had a full tummy they were happy!

mycatlikestwiglets Fri 28-Mar-14 10:15:16

Both mine were 8lb 11.5oz and I found John Lewis newborn sizing good for the first month or so until they fit 0-3 better

shineypeacock Fri 28-Mar-14 10:20:32

Sainsburys do some, i think its newborn but its up to 9lb my 8lb 8 DD fitted in those for about 4 weeks and she was well over 9lb when i moved her into 0-3

42andcounting Sat 29-Mar-14 10:03:43

We had the same problem, but got round it by rolling sleeves up and putting socks on over the babygro. This stopped her from pulling her knees up into the suit and getting them trapped there.

gallicgirl Sat 29-Mar-14 10:13:29

Different brands at different ages.
Sainsburys are spot on. Next, Boots and John Lewis big.
H&M do a 0-2 month and 2-4 month size I think.
Primark and M&Co are on the small size too.

Lj8893 Sat 29-Mar-14 10:17:05

Sainsburys, tesco and next do up to a month size.

Mother care sizes come up quite large whereas next sizes are on the smaller size.

MiaowTheCat Sat 29-Mar-14 15:51:52

If they're not needing to be kept decent for another child - cut the feet off the ones that are on the small side. It's just a case of finding a shop that fits your child really - Primark were great for my kids who are all arms and legs as theirs are short bodied but long-legged... but I'll admit with both of mine by about the 3 month mark I'd given up on sleep suits and just bought them pyjamas... but my kids are very very tall and arkwardly shaped (I blame their father).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now