Talk

Advanced search

Will it definitely be a disaster if ds starts pre school the same time as his sibling arrives?

(5 Posts)
Tory79 Wed 26-Mar-14 22:15:12

Other thread

Baby due 1st October. To get ds (2.5) into pre school after Easter probably means going for an expensive private one where it will cost about £50 a week just for 2 x 3.5hr sessions.

If I wait til September for him to start then he would get a place in one that would probably cost half that.... but would it just be a nightmare trying to get him settled along with him having to adjust to a new baby?

Theyaremysunshine Wed 26-Mar-14 22:43:55

I would look at where I was sending him to school and decide on the preschool attached to that.

DS went to preschool at 3.3 when dd was 5mo. His trial day was the month before she was born and he lasted 20 mins. He was too young. His second trial was when she was 3mo and he was fine. He loves it. Never felt pushed out but he'd always gone to nursery anyway.

I would think it'll be difficult in sept if he's always just been with you. Lots of preschools have feeder play groups. Could he go to one of those now for a term and then on to preschool with familiar friends?

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 26-Mar-14 22:46:56

DS2 was born at the end of March, DS1 started preschool 3 weeks later.

He settled brilliantly, and the boys are such good friends.

2kidsintow Wed 26-Mar-14 22:49:40

My DD2 arrived on 1st Oct. DD1 started nursery at her school in the September.

I thought it was great timing. I had time at home with DD2. School got to know DD1 then made a big fuss of her becoming a big sister. DD1's first school photo has a pic of her 6 week sister on her knee. (You can't see me hovering with arms outstretched off camera).

RedKites Wed 26-Mar-14 22:54:48

My DS2 was due about the same time, and DS1 started preschool that September, although he was a bit younger (2.2ish). Ultimately DS2 was somewhat overdue, so DS1 did have about a month of preschool before DS2 arrived; I imagine it could've been quite different if he'd arrived that first week. I was also fortunate that although DS1 got a little upset at drop off, he quickly settled and was very happy there. I had been quite worried about it, but actually it all worked out well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now