Talk

Advanced search

If your child gets in trouble at school

(8 Posts)
Driveway Wed 26-Mar-14 16:50:04

And receives a punishment, do you punish at home also (taking away a treat or similar), or just talk about it and express your disappointment / displeasure?

PirateJones Wed 26-Mar-14 16:52:08

If the school deals with it, i don't. i don't think you shoudl punish twice for the same "crime".

notso Wed 26-Mar-14 16:52:46

Not so far. I imagine if it was something big, skipping school for example there would be home consequences.

WestieMamma Wed 26-Mar-14 17:03:55

I didn't punish at home because each time the school punished my daughter I believed the school was in the wrong.

Jan616 Wed 26-Mar-14 17:08:56

It depends on the nature of the misbehaviour. If it's something minor, and the child feels remorseful or embarrassed about it, then I think it's just best to discuss the misbehaviour and ways of avoiding this situation in future (e.g. How do you think it made X feel when you did that? What do you think you should have done instead? etc).

Driveway Wed 26-Mar-14 17:12:08

I don't think the school is wrong. It's for getting into fights. blush

In fact, I did say no pack of stickers, which we usually get on Wednesdays before swimming, and we've had a long chat about it, but DH thinks we ought to be doing something "bigger", but I don't really know what's appropriate.

Behaviour at home is really good.

brettgirl2 Wed 26-Mar-14 17:49:36

Rather than punishing I would reward for each good day/ week depending on how bad it is.

meditrina Wed 26-Mar-14 17:52:41

No.

The school deals with what happens in school, unless they have specifically called me in to discuss wider behaviour management and a co-ordinated reponse is required.

If the DC raises it, I would listen and ask what they have learned from the incident (whilst holding my breath that there is something in their answer that I can endorse).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now