Talk

Advanced search

Urgent advice please

(7 Posts)
Newmum0113 Tue 25-Mar-14 10:33:33

Dd - 24weeks today - is teething. This morning she has a temp of 37.9'C. I've given Calpol but not long ago so no difference in temp yet

Her whole head is warm/hot to touch. And is whingy but no more than normal. Has been happy and laughing too.

Do I need to remove a layer of clothing to help her cool down or will that make her worse? She's wearing a short sleeve vest and a long sleeve baby gro.

Thanks in advance

badidea Tue 25-Mar-14 10:38:40

37.9 isn't too high, so I'd maybe hold off for 30 mins, then check again and if its gone up, I'd take off the babygro.

But it totally depends on your baby, if she seems in discomfort with the temp just now, I'd take a layer off and just check her temp regularly and once it comes down put a layer back on.

Fingers crossed her temp comes down and she feels better soon!

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Tue 25-Mar-14 10:44:03

I agree that temp isn't that high, in fact my ds's normal temp is about that. I would maybe take the baby gro off and see what happens, if you felt her legs would get cold do you have any legging type things she could wear, Instead of the extra layer on top?

Jackanory1978 Tue 25-Mar-14 10:47:15

Again I wouldn't be too worried about that temp. If she's not listless & still drinking, with wet nappies, then don't worry. They get whingy with teething. Recheck her temp & take a layer off if it's higher. She could also have ibuprofen.

Now's a good time to read the current advice on temperatures in children, it's here. There is no need to give anything just to get a temperature down and it seems we really shouldn't be worrying too much about mild temperatures in themselves. Aim to treat the underlying problem so if DD is in pain from her teeth then the calpol is for that, not for the temperature.

SuperDuperTrooper Tue 25-Mar-14 10:53:14

I too don't think that is high enough to worry. Just keep an eye on it. My 2 year old DS has woken up with a temp of 37.9 but is ok in himself. I'm just checking the temp every now again to check it's not going up too much as his temps often hit 40 when he's ill. I usually start taking clothes off him when it's 38.5 or above.

Newmum0113 Tue 25-Mar-14 10:55:40

No I'd just gone over to check nhs website after my post and found 39' is when to be concerned! smile

She's fallen asleep in my arms and her head isn't hot anymore.

She's generally a happy baby but these teeth have been coming thru since 9 weeks with no sign of an actual tooth yet! But this is the first raised temp ever! She's normally around 36-36.5'C so it's high for her but she's comfortable now - moved to a cooler room as per nhs guidelines.

Thanks all got your help! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now